phyto not getting super dark

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working with phyto cultures now for about a month broke it off several times already this last batch I split I diluted quite a bit though. I did add the right amount of F2 but after ten days the culture is still pretty light and I have to split it before the culture breaks on me as they seem to around 14 days for me. Can you just add more fertilizer to get it darker or what could I be missing here?

I'm changing to a clamp light today 16 hours a day 5000k
saltwater 1.020
rigid line for air medium bubbles
f2 fertilizer as directed per water volume

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may have over diluted it. I wouldn't split again if it isn't growing well, that would only serve to dilute further. Have any pictures? What phyto is it?

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may have over diluted it. I wouldn't split again if it isn't growing well, that would only serve to dilute further. Have any pictures? What phyto is it?
I don't really need to split it I just wanna keep it from breaking which happened around day 14-17 for me last time can I just redose more f2 to keep it going?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really need to split it I just wanna keep it from breaking which happened around day 14-17 for me last time can I just redose more f2 to keep it going?
I've done that and it darkened up again. About 5 days seems to be the sweet spot for me, then it begins to lighten. I suppose it depends upon how much f2 you're using. I'm dosing 2 ml/gal.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a lighter dose than normal I think, to be on the safe side. They tend to crash because things become to dense and die off from lack of food, so more food should help. I definitely wouldn't split to avoid crash after specific number of days, since the culture isn't at a dense enough point to worry about crashing. Also may be possible it has crashed already.

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking lighting may have been an issue I'm hoping this new bulb gives off more heat. I keep the bottles under my tank stand enclosed now vs being out in the open to retain heat

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Are you using a LED bulb by chance? What species of phytoplankton? When you start your culture and it is really light green, you don't need much light. Once it gets denser, you can move them closer to the light. Your bubbles should be a rolling boil but with small bubbles not huge air pockets.

I add 20 drops (about 1ml) per 2ltr. I get them super dense and almost a black green at day 11.

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a LED bulb by chance? What species of phytoplankton? When you start your culture and it is really light green, you don't need much light. Once it gets denser, you can move them closer to the light. Your bubbles should be a rolling boil but with small bubbles not huge air pockets.

I add 20 drops (about 1ml) per 2ltr. I get them super dense and almost a black green at day 11.
It was a plant LED yes
mercer phyto
it starts light and does get darker but not as dark as it should be
need to adjust the bubbles then because there medium large probably any suggestions there the rigid line just kind of kicks out large bubbles

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airline is not the problem. I've never had issues with just a rigid airline in the bottle.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I will take a video this evening when I get home so you can see my bubble ratio.

LEDs can be tricky with phytoplankton. I've have phytocultures going continuously since 2004. When I switched to LEDs a few years back. There was learning curve related to what was too much light.

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a video this evening when I get home so you can see my bubble ratio.

LEDs can be tricky with phytoplankton. I've have phytocultures going continuously since 2004. When I switched to LEDs a few years back. There was learning curve related to what was too much light.
this is the light im switching to today cree 150watt

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I'm overthinking the bubble size then
I think you are. It’s not too much to growing as long as you keep things clean. Light, water, air, and food.
This is my old setup. Redo is underway. Just a couple LED shop lights. They put out tons of light.
486859BA-B04E-40C7-B936-11DC71426625.jpeg

Example weekly haul
6BC12FD0-D3E5-43C1-9778-2CF2C3A7B425.jpeg

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think you are. It’s not too much to growing as long as you keep things clean. Light, water, air, and food.
This is my old setup. Redo is underway. Just a couple LED shop lights. They put out tons of light.

Example weekly haul

I like your rack! That's is a lot of phyto! Were you breeding fish?

I agree. Keeping things clean/sterile is key.

The problem is likely the light. That is an extremely strong LED. A typical 40 LED bulb is more than enough for several gallons. The above photo is as the color of my phyto when I restart it. If it is much lighter I have to pull it further from the light until it gets dense.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your rack! That's is a lot of phyto! Were you breeding fish?
Heh, as a guy, that is not a typical compliment I receive. But thanks! It worked quite well, but was not very nice to look at in my sitting room next to the tank. So new iteration of it coming, contained under my frag tank. No fish breeding, I just wanted to grow it for the tank.

reed.himes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. I did split it when it wasn't very dark, but i was also worried it would crash. I only had a tiny starter sample

so i need to add more f2 per this thread... but after reading this i wonder if i have too much light. I didn't think you could hv too much. im using 2 GE LED bulbs (460 lumens/6.5 watt/5000k). there are only a couple inches from the phyto. how far away should the light be? the pic is at day 11.
phyto.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back