Phytoplankton and CO2

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this might be a really silly question but I've been wondering... It's a pretty common saying how house plants can help reduce CO2 levels and pollutants in your house.
In reality though you'd need a crazy amount of plants for it to truly make an impact and plant density is hard to achieve. But phyto are supposed to be really efficient at consuming CO2 and obviously also easy to get crazy population density unlike with plants. I can't seem to find any actual academic papers but I was wondering if anyone has ever tested the impact of culturing on household CO2 levels and whether it could actually be a good way of "naturally" scrubbing while still reaping the benefits of home cultured phyto.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this might be a really silly question but I've been wondering... It's a pretty common saying how house plants can help reduce CO2 levels and pollutants in your house.
In reality though you'd need a crazy amount of plants for it to truly make an impact and plant density is hard to achieve. But phyto are supposed to be really efficient at consuming CO2 and obviously also easy to get crazy population density unlike with plants. I can't seem to find any actual academic papers but I was wondering if anyone has ever tested the impact of culturing on household CO2 levels and whether it could actually be a good way of "naturally" scrubbing while still reaping the benefits of home cultured phyto.

I work if needed at my lfs, when I saw the CO2 by the phyto cultures I asked and they bubble CO2 to speed things up. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be useful.

To offset the CO2 exhaled by one person (even ignoring the burning of natural gas in stoves, etc.), the plant (phyto or fern, doesn't matter) will need to add (grow) roughly as much dry mass as you consume in food each day.

That is a huge amount of needed growth!

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As Randy said, mass balance is the way to think about it. A person on average breathes out 1 kg of CO2 (2.3 pounds) per day. Let's call a phyto cell 50% carbon (dry mass), so your 1 kg of CO2 = 270 grams Carbon, so you'd need to grow and harvest twice that 2*270 = 540 grams = 1.2 pounds of phyto cells (dry mass) per day. Every day - for every person in the house!
Oh, and dry mass means that the 80 or 90% water in phyto cells doesn't count, so you're growing 5 or 10 pounds of phyto cells to get 1 pound of dry mass.

So this won't happen in a bucket or bottles on a shelf, but maybe if you had a commercial scale algae reactor in your air conditioner room and bubbled the household air through it, you could lower the indoor CO2.
(It's entertaining to calculate how impossible this is.)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back