Phytoplankton Culturing questions

Robert.Brandvold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to R2R, but just started a phytoplankton culture, from Mercer of Montana. How often should I dose with fertilizer? Only after harvesting? Or is it beneficial to dose again during the process? Also, I am keeping my lights on for about 16 hours a day, give or take..not on a timer, but a when should I harvest? 7 days out, 14?
Thanks for any advice

20210206_094723.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose once a week. If I bottle some up, I do so right before dosing the f/2. What I bottle goes in the fridge, or straight into the tank.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is to keep things sterile and the phyto suspended.
agreed, keep cross-contamination as low as possible, when restarting cultures clean everything down with rubbing alcohol, as for light I usually keep my for 12-16 and phyto grows well, just be careful not to over do it because you can get some algae to grow

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to R2R, but just started a phytoplankton culture, from Mercer of Montana. How often should I dose with fertilizer? Only after harvesting? Or is it beneficial to dose again during the process? Also, I am keeping my lights on for about 16 hours a day, give or take..not on a timer, but a when should I harvest? 7 days out, 14?
Thanks for any advice

20210206_094723.jpg
I was wondering the same thing. I emailed Mercer of Montana, and they said that if the culture started to turn yellowish, that I could add some more f/2. I did this on one of my cultures, and it greened right up.

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently made my 1st batch of phytoplankton and realized i had some questions about harvesting.

1) how do you harvest the phytoplankton, just pour it in to a bottle and keep it in the fridge until needed?

2) i assume there is still some f/2 remaining in the water during harvesting the phytoplankton, will this f/2 residue harm the corals when i target feed the phytoplankton to them?

3) when splitting or starting the next batch of phytoplankton, i wiped down the air line and lid with 91 percent rubbing alcohol and let it dry, will any residue of the rubbing alcohol that may not have completely dried harm the phytoplankton?

4) how long should phytoplankton stay fresh in the refrigerator and should f/2 be added to so the phytoplankton as something to eat?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back