Phytoplankton dosing causing diatoms

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been dosing phytoplankton for the past couple of months to outcompete Dino’s and feed microfauna/coral in my system. The Dino’s are 99% gone now after looking under a microscope. What is present under the microscope is diatoms. Multiple species of diatoms it appears. And they now populate my sand bed much like you would see Dino’s do.

Im suspecting that the phytoplankton im culturing and dosing is contributing to this sand bed diatom bloom, probly because of excess silica in the culture being dosed. I stopped dosing phyto yesterday to see if the diatoms disappear.

Has anybody experienced this before? Is there a culture medium for phyto that doesn’t contain silica? Would the phyto (Nanno) grow without a silica component? Im using Guillards f/2 from Mercer of Montana.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing Ocean Magic and haven't had any of those issues, but im not looking under a microscope. At the least Im seeing better conditions and they seem to be doing there job. I do however have a good CUC going and good flow in the DT. I'm interested on what others say so I'll be watching this thread.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody experienced this before? Is there a culture medium for phyto that doesn’t contain silica? Would the phyto (Nanno) grow without a silica component?

Yes. You can do the recipe without sodium silicates.

Or what I did is that I simply used liquid plant fertilizer, 2 quid per 1L, the greens grow in that one very well (I havent dosed that in my tank though - used the phyto for zooplankton only).

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can do the recipe without sodium silicates.

Or what I did is that I simply used liquid plant fertilizer, 2 quid per 1L, the greens grow in that one very well (I havent dosed that in my tank though - used the phyto for zooplankton only).
What brand did you use? Any risk of heavy metals?

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand did you use? Any risk of heavy metals?
Don't remember, used random ones off the shelves in the garden centre which had a good ratio of phosphate and nitrates.

There is definitely a risk of unwanted stuff, but I didnt dose phyto directly to the tank, I only used it to feed rotifers and pods.

But it will happily grow in it.

joanropi17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been dosing phytoplankton for the past couple of months to outcompete Dino’s and feed microfauna/coral in my system. The Dino’s are 99% gone now after looking under a microscope. What is present under the microscope is diatoms. Multiple species of diatoms it appears. And they now populate my sand bed much like you would see Dino’s do.

Im suspecting that the phytoplankton im culturing and dosing is contributing to this sand bed diatom bloom, probly because of excess silica in the culture being dosed. I stopped dosing phyto yesterday to see if the diatoms disappear.

Has anybody experienced this before? Is there a culture medium for phyto that doesn’t contain silica? Would the phyto (Nanno) grow without a silica component? Im using Guillards f/2 from Mercer of Montana.
I'm having the same issue. I'll keep checking this post.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. I'll keep checking this post.
I’m still not positive what was causing it. What I did was run a very small amount of GFO in a reactor as I heard that it could bind silicates and after a couple of weeks the diatoms went away. Could be coincidence but my money is on the gfo.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. Tank was really humming before. Started dosing PHYTO and diatoms just boomed..... well be interested to see if yours go away...

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing my newly started (2nd week) with live rock and sand with NutriMar Phyto. Just a couple days ago, I gave it a heavier dose than normal to feed the seeded pods and the countless feather duster worms and single Christmas tree worm. The next day, boom...diatoms everywhere! I also forgot to turn my light off. I'm sure that helped too. I'd rather have diatoms than starve my worms and pods at this point.
1000005792.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back