Phytoplankton to raise nutrients?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the fish looked stuffed all the time and are unable to eat everything I put in there. Once the pumps kick back on extra food is just going into filter socks. Not going to an automatic feeder and cutting up my $$$ lid. CUC is all small snails, Trochus x3, Conch x1, x25, Nassarius x10, Cerith x20, (assuming they're all still alive). 15 small fish, largest is 3" Foxface. Did the best I could on pics. As usual the HORRIBLE Mobius wasn't cooperating.
Thanks for posting the pics. First, if you're feeding so much at one time that food is going in the overflow, you're feeding too much at once. The key is feeding smaller portions several times a day (if you can). It should be a combo of flakes, pellets and quality frozen (not just mysis) like LRS or Rod's. NLS pellets and TDO are really good pellets (TDO being my preferred, as you don't need a lot to go a long way), Cool Green & Cool Mysis flakes are really good flakes (hand packed and cheap) and cover a lot of ground between the two. Also, I think you need more algae eating snails like trochus, astraea and turbos, nassarius are good at cleaning up leftover food, but you don't need a lot, as the bristle worms will be your best CUC in that regard. If you have a sump, then you can put an auto feeder in your sump's return section and use a small powerhead to keep the food in suspension until your return pump gets it, which is how I have mine set up, which works like a charm and keeps the clutter down. I'm a huge fan of mixing herbivores (fish-wise), one zebrasoma, one ctenochaetus (bristletooth) and one rabbitfish (foxface), as tank size allows. This combo covers a lot of ground with algae control.
Bio media like marinepure will soak up nitrates quickly, but over time will slowly clog up. I think you can safely remove a few of these blocks, which will allow nutrients to rise a little. I think feeding a little more in smaller amounts and removing a couple blocks will help you out. Long term, slowly change your CUC ratio and add healthy herbivores (fish) to the mix. There's a lot to unpack here, but hopefully some of this will help you?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pics. First, if you're feeding so much at one time that food is going in the overflow, you're feeding too much at once. The key is feeding smaller portions several times a day (if you can). It should be a combo of flakes, pellets and quality frozen (not just mysis) like LRS or Rod's. NLS pellets and TDO are really good pellets (TDO being my preferred, as you don't need a lot to go a long way), Cool Green & Cool Mysis flakes are really good flakes (hand packed and cheap) and cover a lot of ground between the two. Also, I think you need more algae eating snails like trochus, astraea and turbos, nassarius are good at cleaning up leftover food, but you don't need a lot, as the bristle worms will be your best CUC in that regard. If you have a sump, then you can put an auto feeder in your sump's return section and use a small powerhead to keep the food in suspension until your return pump gets it, which is how I have mine set up, which works like a charm and keeps the clutter down. I'm a huge fan of mixing herbivores (fish-wise), one zebrasoma, one ctenochaetus (bristletooth) and one rabbitfish (foxface), as tank size allows. This combo covers a lot of ground with algae control.
Bio media like marinepure will soak up nitrates quickly, but over time will slowly clog up. I think you can safely remove a few of these blocks, which will allow nutrients to rise a little. I think feeding a little more in smaller amounts and removing a couple blocks will help you out. Long term, slowly change your CUC ratio and add healthy herbivores (fish) to the mix. There's a lot to unpack here, but hopefully some of this will help you?
What autofeeder do you use and what do you put in it? My utilitarian livestock includes a Lawnmower Blenny, Foxface, Six Line Wrasse, AE Filefish and Tailspot Blenny. I have a 7" PBT waiting to be transferred from my old 55gal I'm taking down, but can't move him until done stocking for obvious reasons. Looking for a Bristletooth and something zebrasomas, perhaps a Yellow before PB goes in. Hopefully the three different species will make it work. Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Attaching a pic of the gunk clogging up my socks almost daily. It's teeming with pods when I scope it. Considering taking advice of those who suggest removing them for a while. Hate leaving that in my tank but at least I'd save some pods !
4366AC98-8F60-4D51-999A-688B6F4798DD.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What autofeeder do you use and what do you put in it? My utilitarian livestock includes a Lawnmower Blenny, Foxface, Six Line Wrasse, AE Filefish and Tailspot Blenny. I have a 7" PBT waiting to be transferred from my old 55gal I'm taking down, but can't move him until done stocking for obvious reasons. Looking for a Bristletooth and something zebrasomas, perhaps a Yellow before PB goes in. Hopefully the three different species will make it work. Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Attaching a pic of the gunk clogging up my socks almost daily. It's teeming with pods when I scope it. Considering taking advice of those who suggest removing them for a while. Hate leaving that in my tank but at least I'd save some pods !
4366AC98-8F60-4D51-999A-688B6F4798DD.jpeg
It just looks like mashed up mysis shrimp to me? Pods are on it because it's an easy food source for them. I think your marinepure blocks are out-competing everything else concerning nitrates (and some PO4 to some extent), so removing a couple won't cause any major issues. You can pull two blocks out and wait a week, then two more and so until you see measurable nitrates. I have an apex on my 90g, so I use their auto-feeder, but you can use a simple auto-feeder from anyone. I use NLS (New Life Spectrum) standard marine pellets and their algaemaxx pellets in the feeder. I hand feed TDO once a day though. I think socks are good to use in new tanks, as you want to have control over N&P initially and not let it rise too much. The only time I use socks is when I storm the tank, then use a flocculant (DIY coral snow) to remove everything while wet skimming. Once your tank is established and stable, then I don't think socks are necessary, but that's just me. You basically want detritus to settle in your sump where it's easily removed, so having your turnover rate lower allows that to happen, which I think you have.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just looks like mashed up mysis shrimp to me? Pods are on it because it's an easy food source for them. I think your marinepure blocks are out-competing everything else concerning nitrates (and some PO4 to some extent), so removing a couple won't cause any major issues. You can pull two blocks out and wait a week, then two more and so until you see measurable nitrates. I have an apex on my 90g, so I use their auto-feeder, but you can use a simple auto-feeder from anyone. I use NLS (New Life Spectrum) standard marine pellets and their algaemaxx pellets in the feeder. I hand feed TDO once a day though. I think socks are good to use in new tanks, as you want to have control over N&P initially and not let it rise too much. The only time I use socks is when I storm the tank, then use a flocculant (DIY coral snow) to remove everything while wet skimming. Once your tank is established and stable, then I don't think socks are necessary, but that's just me. You basically want detritus to settle in your sump where it's easily removed, so having your turnover rate lower allows that to happen, which I think you have.
Thanks for the great. idea of adding an autofeeder to the sump. I'm also using Apex but I've read really negative reviews of their feeder. Primarily complaints related to noise but also quality of construction and reliability. What's your experience been?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great. idea of adding an autofeeder to the sump. I'm also using Apex but I've read really negative reviews of their feeder. Primarily complaints related to noise but also quality of construction and reliability. What's your experience been?
All of those complaints mean nothing at all. The biggest issue with the feeder is the inconsistency of the amounts of the doses of feeding seems to feed less the more the feeder is full and has the feeder empties it seems to feed more each feeding. I have six of these feeders running so believe me I have plenty of experience. And I have four plank feeders and by far the plank feeders are we superior to the Apex feeders

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those complaints mean nothing at all. The biggest issue with the feeder is the inconsistency of the amounts of the doses of feeding seems to feed less the more the feeder is full and has the feeder empties it seems to feed more each feeding. I have six of these feeders running so believe me I have plenty of experience. And I have four plank feeders and by far the plank feeders are we superior to the Apex feeders
So I'm a little confused. Are you saying the Neptune feeder is fine despite the poor reviews and some inconsistency in amount of food dispensed? As for the, "Plank" feeder, which appears to be a brand name, are there different models? The one I've found includes a small Sicce pump and runs around $200. Not sure it would fit in my sump return. Is this what you're referring to and would it negate the need for an additional pump to mix things up in the sump?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a little confused. Are you saying the Neptune feeder is fine despite the poor reviews and some inconsistency in amount of food dispensed? As for the, "Plank" feeder, which appears to be a brand name, are there different models? The one I've found includes a small Sicce pump and runs around $200. Not sure it would fit in my sump return. Is this what you're referring to and would it negate the need for an additional pump to mix things up in the sump?
Yes I am saying neptunes is not to Loud and it is definitly reliable. Only issue is the inconsistency of the dispensing of the food. Well along with fact that pretty much only 1 food and or 1 size or type and pretty much mainly pellets can be used. Again this goes along with the inconsistency it will dispense at.
yes plank has only 1 model. And is 200$. They did offer some with small manufacturing defects only to appearance still holding same warranty for a discount like 160$ not sure if any left. I did buy one and can’t even find a defect…
As far as another pump in sump I would say either way whatever feeder you use another pump will be needed to help keep the food suspended so return and surely suck it all up and send to display.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plank is by far the best feeder on the market. In mine I have 7 different types of foods (3 type of pellet,3 type of freeze dried,and algae in flake form) along with phyto power, reef roids, reef chili, and aqua forest grow boost.
tell me another feeder that can support this many foods at 1 time and suspend the exact same amount every feed of this mixture.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back