Picked a sump (Trigger Ruby 36S) ...now which Protein Skimmer?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I ordered a Trigger Ruby 36S sump for my 120g tank.
Now I need suggestions for a correctly sized protein skimmer.
Red Sea? Eshopp? Tunze? ??? The sump has a section that is 12" x 14.5" (but I am not sure how much is taken by the filter socks?
I am thinking DC pump. I have been reading too much by the LifeReef is probably out of my price range.

Who else is using a Trigger Ruby 36S?

Thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many opinions on this topic and there are several good brands. Personally, I have used Reef Octopus skimmers for over 10 years and am currently using 3 different Reef Octopus skimmers on different systems. Additionally, in an informal R2R poll Reef Octopus was selected as the best skimmer brand:

Good luck with whatever you choose!

#reefoctopus

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a list - had to remove a few due to footprint.
Looking at the
Bubble Magus Curve 7 ($299)
Red Sea RSK300 ($329)
Reef Octopus Classic 150 ($279)
Reef Octopus Classic 200 ($329)
Eshopp X-160 ($362)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emerald trigger sump. Only ever used one skimmer. ATO. My husband loves to complain about things, he actually likes this brand. Good luck

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**COUGH**REMOVE ESHOPPS FROM YOUR LIST**COUGH**
How stocked is your tank ATM? Reef Octopus are the cats meow in performance and affordability compared to some other skimmers out on the market. I have heard good things about bubble magnus skimmers as well, but I have never used one. Do some research on NYOS as many reefers seem to like the skimmer, footprint, and performance.

jasper9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation. I would add to the question to the crowd, what features or functionality sway you toward or away from each?

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've used Reef Octopus Regal and love the thing

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**COUGH**REMOVE ESHOPPS FROM YOUR LIST**COUGH**
How stocked is your tank ATM? Reef Octopus are the cats meow in performance and affordability compared to some other skimmers out on the market. I have heard good things about bubble magnus skimmers as well, but I have never used one. Do some research on NYOS as many reefers seem to like the skimmer, footprint, and performance.
I have looked at the NYOS but are out of my budget...along with LifeReef

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend Royal Exclusiv, absolutely silent and you do not need to oversize at all. Bubble King mini should fit. Edit- never mind too much

Dalbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a curve 7 and have had it running for 2 days. I had a Reef Octopus 150 but it was too noisy. This curve 7 is dead silent. I'm not sure on production yet as it's breaking in still. I'm having issues with the bubbles not coming up high enough, but that could be a break in issue or I may have the bubble plate not oriented correctly. If noise is a concern beware of the non dc Reef Octopus. And the BM Curve 7 is on sale for $209 right now. Hard to go wrong.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a curve 7 and have had it running for 2 days. I had a Reef Octopus 150 but it was too noisy. This curve 7 is dead silent. I'm not sure on production yet as it's breaking in still. I'm having issues with the bubbles not coming up high enough, but that could be a break in issue or I may have the bubble plate not oriented correctly. If noise is a concern beware of the non dc Reef Octopus. And the BM Curve 7 is on sale for $209 right now. Hard to go wrong.
thank you ...I was just looking at the Marine Depot site this afternoon, they have the Bubble Magus Curve 7 Elite with the Sicce PSK-600 pump on sale for 295.99. I am trying to decide if the Sicce pump is worth $80 difference. I spoke to someone at Marine Depot who recommended the AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2.

Dalbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If noise is a concern the Sicce may be louder. I know in the Curve 9 the elite (Sicce pump) is louder.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9410 dc is what I run on my 120. They are the most underrated skimmers out their, imo.
No adjustment needed in 17 months of use.
Easiest skimmer cup to remove.
No need to turn it off to clean cup, feed, or work in tank.
Has anti overflow too.
Cant say enough good things about it.
Set it and forget it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back