Pico disaster

Calgary reefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a 20g that I've been running for over a year with no issues, but about 3 months ago I started a 3 g pico and it's a complete mess! I have an AC 50 and coral compulsion par 30 as well as a 25 watt heater. I tried adding a korila 225 but took it out because no matter how I placed it there mushrooms were always flying around and sand was blowing all over. Anyway - now I have stringy brown algae everywhere possibly due to areas of no flow. I have a nice Duncan - about 10 or so mushrooms and a small candy cane - had a few anemone shrimp that died and haven't been able to find any local small snails to add. I keep trying to pull the algae out daily with a turkey baster but comes right back. My question is how do I turn this around? Thought 1) get a whole new CUC - and settle for the bigger snails that seem to be available currently - and do frequent water changes for a while. 2). Start all over with new sand and rocks and put my Duncan and mushrooms into my big tank while the little one re-cycles. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to proceed! Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new