Pier and beam foundation with large tank

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

We’re moving to a new home, and I’d like to take the opportunity to do a bit of an upgrade. I’m going to go from a 75g to a 112g Sca 5 foot tank. Our new foundation is going to be pier and beam. Is this getting to a size where I’ll need to reinforce the foundation? I’m hoping the 5 foot length will help distribute the weight. I’m also hoping to put it perpendicular to the joists against a load bearing wall, but I’ll have to get under the house to see what’s under the office. Thanks!

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably be fine on 112g, if you can spread it across joists as you suggest. If you have access to the crawl space, it never hurts to add some vertical support to the joists as well, or just a single 4x4 beam and a bottle jack.

OP
OP
DylanE

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably be fine on 112g, if you can spread it across joists as you suggest. If you have access to the crawl space, it never hurts to add some vertical support to the joists as well, or just a single 4x4 beam and a bottle jack.

So you’d run a 4x4 perpendicular to the joists and support it with a bottle jack? That sounds very doable. I can get down below the floor with a little shimmying.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, exactly - or one bottle jack at each end of the 4x4, if you wanted to be really safe. I see you are on the West Coast (as am I, sort of), so if you are in earthquake country, this is an especially good step to take - might make you sleep just a little better : )

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did jack stands and a 4x4x8 under my 180 on the first floor of a house built in 1914. the floor was finally level :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: and rock solid. absolutely helped me sleep. now they are all on a concrete slab though

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back