Pincushion Urchin losing spines

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pincushion urchin is losing a lot of spines. Parameters are on point, and he has plenty of GHA and byropsis to consume. I got him about 5 months ago from the lfs. Acclimated fine, and until recently I began to notice the spine problem. My biggest concern is that 2 weeks ago my heater broke down and the temp dropped to 69 F for 2 days until I got a new one. Temp is 77F now, and has been since. I placed him on a sheet of nori a couple days ago, didnt eat much. Hes moving around the tank a ton, and his tentacles are going crazy. Hasnt been losing many spines for a few days, and has actually regrown a few black ones (or they turned black I dont know). What should I do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Pincushion urchin is losing a lot of spines. Parameters are on point, and he has plenty of GHA and byropsis to consume. I got him about 5 months ago from the lfs. Acclimated fine, and until recently I began to notice the spine problem. My biggest concern is that 2 weeks ago my heater broke down and the temp dropped to 69 F for 2 days until I got a new one. Temp is 77F now, and has been since. I placed him on a sheet of nori a couple days ago, didnt eat much. Hes moving around the tank a ton, and his tentacles are going crazy. Hasnt been losing many spines for a few days, and has actually regrown a few black ones (or they turned black I dont know). What should I do?
Due to stress
Stressors are:
High nitrate
Starvation
High or low salinity
Low ph
Reproduction
Too much water flow

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to stress
Stressors are:
High nitrate
Starvation
High or low salinity
Low ph
Reproduction
Too much water flow
low nitrates
tons of GHA and byropsis to eat
sg 1.026
PH 8.3
no other urchins in tank to reproduce with
Loves sitting on powerhead, could that be it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back