Pineapple sponge - let it stay or nuke?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, earlier today I discovered pineapple sponge that was bothering my zoa. Removed that one, then later researched and found out that many people say its actually very good for the tank and arguably more rare than any zoa. Well, I just found another one, about the size of a nickel on the back wall, growing next to my GSP frag.

Whats the verdict on this thing, should I keep it? Do they tend to take over the tank? Or shoidl I remove?

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not go so far and say they are more rare than any type of zoa. Sponges are excellent filter feeders in your system and are interesting in their own regard. My pineapples tend to grow more in covered areas or in the filtration sections of the tank. I never had them explode in population and cause issues. Even if they did they would be easy to remove. It is not like it is aptasia haha. So, I would let it stay.

Davisma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them choke out zoas pretty easy. It's up to you whether to keep them but I'd rather have zoas personally. not sure about them vs GSP, they both can smother zoanthids

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some that weren't pineapple, but very similar. Basically little white balls, but instead of the one hole and "fronds" of a pineapple, they have a bunch of holes all over. Usually they get to be nickel sized. My sponge book just says "golf ball sponge"..

OP
OP
Butuz

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, managed to take a pic early this morning before GSP opened up and covered it. The size is about 1/2 inches in diameter roughly. Sorry, bad pic, this thing is glued to the back wall. Please let me know your thought. Should I completely remove? Or relocate to a rock so it doesnt bother or bulge GSP on the back wall?

72ECE1C9-23E3-451A-82E0-E7B54C31B2A6.jpeg
00A96CE1-A558-4846-86CA-9B01D8AF9925.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I'd take that article with a grain of salt. There's so many species of sponges and for that article to paint them as bad for a reef aquarium is just false. We grew all kinds of sponge over many years and as long as the sponge did not over grow a coral we left them be as I like diversity. Never had them out compete our corals.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just relocate them.

This is my sponge garden in my sump, they are thriving and growing well.

Love the things.
6c84f6ddb4d5b3c018084c0062495107.jpg
bb707276b449b3b532bc747e7403e652.jpg

Oh yeah, and I have a plating sponge in my frag tank. it's pretty cool so I'm letting it do it's thing. I also believe it's photosynthetic so I don't expect they'd be happy in my dark sump.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I'd take that article with a grain of salt. There's so many species of sponges and for that article to paint them as bad for a reef aquarium is just false. We grew all kinds of sponge over many years and as long as the sponge did not over grow a coral we left them be as I like diversity. Never had them out compete our corals.
Waht was jake smoking that day?

Other reasearch says it’s sponges corralines and other microfauna that’s send chemical signals for corals to entrust and polyps to land and root. Odd.
Part of the cryptic zone research.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back