Pineapple Sponges

NWHreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past two months or so, I have had a major outbreak of these pineapple sponges. (let me know if the picture looks like something else)
I recently moved and I am wondering if silicates in my new water might be causing this. I use an RO/DI system, but I watched an old reef builders video where Jake talks about silicates making it through the filter. I don't mind having these sponges in my tank to polish my water, but i would like to control the population. Manual removal has failed. They grow back in a matter of days! Any advice on controlling these? I'm hesitant to use something like phosguard, since my phosphate is very stable around 0.1 and I am getting some of the best coral growth I've ever had in the tank.

IMG_1947 (1).jpg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pineapple sponges bad? I was pretty happy when I noted them growing in my tank. I took it as a mark of stable conditions and assistance with filtering out the baddies.

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past two months or so, I have had a major outbreak of these pineapple sponges. (let me know if the picture looks like something else)
I recently moved and I am wondering if silicates in my new water might be causing this. I use an RO/DI system, but I watched an old reef builders video where Jake talks about silicates making it through the filter. I don't mind having these sponges in my tank to polish my water, but i would like to control the population. Manual removal has failed. They grow back in a matter of days! Any advice on controlling these? I'm hesitant to use something like phosguard, since my phosphate is very stable around 0.1 and I am getting some of the best coral growth I've ever had in the tank.

IMG_1947 (1).jpg
I had them bad as you I took out the rock and added sump.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for a icp test. My silicates were off the charts. I now run the silicate buster from brs with 2 different di resins. I use the blended di media last in line now just in case i miss the color change. I Cant however say if that has anything to do with the sponges.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have them in my tank as well. They are actually good for your tank, just a bit unsightly in large numbers. They will fix themselves in time. Yes, silicates play a role. as your tank goes thru phases, they will die Off for good , I have read that Coral Beauty angelfish will eat them, but so far I don’t know if mine has or not. Unless they just really bug you, leave them be.

OP
OP
N

NWHreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pineapple sponges bad? I was pretty happy when I noted them growing in my tank. I took it as a mark of stable conditions and assistance with filtering out the baddies.
I think they are a good thing, but they currently cover every dark part of my tank. It doesn’t look great and I’ve heard of them clogging up filtration and return pumps. I just want to lower the population a bit

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_1947 (1).jpg
Silicates are often the cause. Can be from new rock, new sand, from tap water if used and expired or leaking Di Resin cartridges.
These are short lived and will dissipate as silicates reduce. You can peel them off with the edge of a credit card into a net if they are too many
They are not harmful and cherish algae if they get any

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back