Pink band disease?

Dan b 123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post here, only just signed up!
I'm looking for help Identifying this pink color on my dead scolly skeleton.
So a good few weeks ago my urchin dragged a rock over my scolly and cut it a bit, for about a month it didn't get better but didn't really get worse, then my laziness in not sorting my cyano out didn't help the situation and started growing near the wound.

Dunno if it made it worse but can't imagine it helped.

Over the last few weeks it started receding around the wound and more cyano got in, I was cleaning it carefully but obviously it didn't help long term.

It's mouth was wide open for the last 2 weeks and it was not trying to feed.

It was looking fixable until today, after lights on this morning it looked different and when I got home today a big bit had fallen off and exposed lots of the skeleton, parts of which looks to be pink
IMG_20200919_202701.jpg

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!! I am unfamiliar with this but I’ll give it a bump for you!

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I can't say for certain what's causing the disease, but my recent case of RTN/STN/brown jelly leads me to believe that it is likely not worth trying to identify, as such disease can be caused by multiple types of bacteria and/or viruses.

Here is my thread (tldr) where my disease was halted: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-brown-jelly-disease.754530/

In summary, Iodine and then Melafix dips were used on the affected corals with some success, but I also serviced my UV sterilizer and lighting (cleaned glass, replaced lamps).

Alternative suggestions were mentioned too. Some might be helpful, or at least give you some ideas. Cyano was a factor for me too.

OP
OP
D

Dan b 123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies,
Yea your probably right that I'll not be able to identify it, but I've never seen skeleton pink like that, first thing I thought was pink band disease but I can't seem to find much online about it other than a few bits with pics of acans and similar corals which have been killed by PBD and the coloring of the skeleton looks very similar.

Also noticed today that a little lobo I have has had its mouth open all day and I can actually see some messenterial filaments inside it, so I'm hoping it's not about to expel its insides and die seemingly like the scolly did. I'll be keeping a close eye over the next few hours

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back