OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a veteran of the 1977 Chicago show when I was 17.
I'm a Richard Wright guy. ;) (And a piano player)
I don't think Richard got enough credit for how much he actually contributed to Pink Floyd's sound.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Richard got enough credit for how much he actually contributed to Pink Floyd's sound.
Us and them, and great gig in n the sky. But it’s his musical antithesis to Gilmour in so many songs. I think those two really fed off each other. Right is definitely the most under appreciated of the group. I must acknowledge Waters bass playing ability too. He is always recognized for his concepts and lyrics, but he was a fantastic and absolutely unique bassist. I love his bass playing on hey you. As much as the keys and guitars creat a spacious and icy cold atmosphere, waters bass gives it the depth and unrelenting bottom that you almost don’t notice, but creates the overpowering depth of the song. I really never appreciated his bass play until more recently.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Us and them, and great gig in n the sky. But it’s his musical antithesis to Gilmour in so many songs. I think those two really fed off each other. Right is definitely the most under appreciated of the group. I must acknowledge Waters bass playing ability too. He is always recognized for his concepts and lyrics, but he was a fantastic and absolutely unique bassist. I love his bass playing on hey you. As much as the keys and guitars creat a spacious and icy cold atmosphere, waters bass gives it the depth and unrelenting bottom that you almost don’t notice, but creates the overpowering depth of the song. I really never appreciated his bass play until more recently.
I was always impressed with his bass of the clock ticking at the beginning of Time. I don't play guitar so I don't know if that is hard, but he keeps the exact tempo through the entire beginning of the song. I have tried just tapping on a desk for that long and I can't do it lol.

Leah Ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not hear any Pink Floyd until the Gilmour album "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" and I did think that was a masterpiece! I love ALL of the songs on that album, BUT the more I hear the albums when Rogers and Gilmour were actually working together I love them just as much. I can't say that I love one "era" more than the rest, because I love all of their music. My playlist for PF includes all of their stuff including their solo stuff. They are AMAZING musicians and AMAZING song writers! My PF play list goes on for hours and hours and I love every song and every minute of it. I do not have a Rogers/Gilmour preference. All Pink Floyd music whether solo career or together as as band is absolutely amazing! SO SUREAL! Makes me float, and I love it!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always impressed with his bass of the clock ticking at the beginning of Time. I don't play guitar so I don't know if that is hard, but he keeps the exact tempo through the entire beginning of the song. I have tried just tapping on a desk for that long and I can't do it lol.

I think gilmour actually played a lot of bass on their albums ..... at least he claims he did. Likewise Snowy White live. Although their classic album run was, well classic, I always found them to be pretty pedestrian as actual musicians. Gilmour perhaps the exception, though even he was more about style and ambiance than pure chops.

Galvano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reading this thread and no longer feeling like a creature of the past.

I always was a Psy/Prog-Rock fan with more emotional Genesis and somehow cleaner and more vibrant Pink Floyd being my favourites.

My first ever concert was the thrilling 1977 Animals show in Munich's Olympiahalle.

For me that's also the best album of all times with the ear-movie Sheep being my favourite PF song. How I love the Fender Rhodes tremolo intro and the vocoder cross-fades, Rick Wright at his best (BTW, up to the minute: 'Have you heard the news? The dogs are dead!').

My PF album ranking continues with Wish You Were Here with the epic Shine On, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother, where Alan's morning meal always makes me slip under my Stax and close my eyes.

Lately I saw the Aussies and the Brits, with the former technically more advanced, but the latter making better music.

And for years I was searching for a modern follow-up group in this tradition, till I finally found Steven Wilson's projects, in particular Porcupine Tree ...

... which meanwhile also has gone. But the show must go on and on and on!

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to bring back this thread.......Roger Water tickets went on sale! I picked up three at the closest location which is Pittsburgh on opening night. Kinda disappointed he isn't coming to Cleveland. No news on set lists or anything yet.........

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay $10 to see Waters' over-political sham of a show these days. Conversely, I would pay big money to see Gilmour. The subtleties of societal commentary are long lost on Waters these days and as a result it's like being beaten over the head with an anvil instead of provoking thought. No thanks.

I am not alone in this thinking.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot about this thread till it just popped up in my notifications. I saw it and thought it was for the pink floyd SPS. lol

I would agree with zukihara. Waters shows are over the top to shove his political views down his paying customers throats. We payed to hear Pink Floyd, not waters political views, No thanks!

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love a good bit of what Pink Floyd has done, but the overbearing influence of experimental Waters rubbish like Ummagumma pales in comparison to the Gilmour contribution on Wish You Were here, for example. The overt political theater Waters does not is not surprising.

Without other band members to counter his ridiculousness, Waters is a circus sideshow.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are all saying about Waters, but nothing has changed. His (and Pink Floyd for that matter) music has always been political. Their top selling albums of all time (The Wall, Animals, DSOFM, etc.) were conceived primarily by Waters and his anti-government vision. His solo stuff is no different. Gilmour and the rest of the band never tempered him or his vision....they just added more musically. Can't argue that Gilmour has a better voice and is a master of the guitar :)

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ole Waters lol. Hes a passionate one. Im a big fan of Ummagumma, hard to find an album i dont like by the band, or solo work. So that being said, and knowing theyre all great, what is your least favorite Floyd album?

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are all saying about Waters, but nothing has changed. His (and Pink Floyd for that matter) music has always been political. Their top selling albums of all time (The Wall, Animals, DSOFM, etc.) were conceived primarily by Waters and his anti-government vision. His solo stuff is no different. Gilmour and the rest of the band never tempered him or his vision....they just added more musically. Can't argue that Gilmour has a better voice and is a master of the guitar :)
LOL man his new stuff is NOTHING like the old stuff. Everything has changed. No longer thought provoking as I said. Just spew.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back