Pink Floyd appreciation thread

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge PF fan …. probably my second favorite band. Classic example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Too bad Waters and Gilmour never seemed to realize that. I'm also a big fan of live recordings, so Empire Pool and Wall live are my two favorites. Still rankles me to this day that there was no professional recording made of the '77 In the Flesh tour :(. Animals is probably my favorite of the studio albums with Meddle a close second. I just got tired of the Wall studio album. Got payed to death during my freshman year in College. Neither of the two post-Waters PF albums have been particularly memorable to me; and I find the Waters solo stuff (including The Final Cut) borderline unlistenable.
Meddle is really good; I think Echoes is my favorite. Their live stuff is great, esp. Live in Pompeii

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not listened to his most recent one, good suggestion, I shall get it. I have tended to think of RW as a lyrics first songwriter, and I am a music first listener. His stuff is just too strident to me. Always felt that Gilmour (and Wright) were abel to soften the edges of his stuff, though I think they had largely given up by The Final Cut.
You aren't incorrect in thinking RW is lyric first.....a lot of his early stuff solo stuff focused primarily on lyrics IMO. His latest definitely sounds more like vintage Floyd. You also aren't incorrect in thinking the rest of the band gave up in The Final Cut.....they kinda were forced out by that time. If you look at the release, it says something to the effect of The Final Cut by Roger Waters with Pink Floyd (I can't remember the actual wording). It does have a lot of gems such as When The Tigers Broke Free and Fletcher Memorial though.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Floyd was my first love of music. The first band I listened to that blew my perception of what music could sound like. From that moment until now and forever they are my favorite band. My personal ranking goes as (this ranking changes for me frequently but this would be as of right now)
1. Meddle
2. Dark side
3. Wish you were here
4. The Wall
5. Animals
6. A Saucerfull of Secrets
7. Atom heart mother
8. Obscured by clouds
9. Final cut
10. Piper at the Gates
11. More
12. Ummagumma *(not a fan of the studio album but I do really like the live album)
13. Division bell
14. Momentary lapse of reason
15. endless river (only album I can admit to not listen all the way through yet. So I can’t honestly judge it.)

I’m also partial to the Pulse live album, minus most of the post waters material.
Not partial to Waters or Gilmour on their own. I think they complemented each other’s strengths and weaknesses and we’re best together in the middle of their career. My absolute favorite song is Echoes. It does get tedious in the middle for casual listening, but overall I think it’s absolutly brilliant.

Never had the opportunity to see them live. I did get to see Gilmour solo with Richard Wright in Chicago 13 years ago, and they played echoes live which is enough for me to be happy ;)
Good list :) You have some more obscure stuff in there. I never got into Piper at the Gates of Dawn....sounded too much like the Beatles to me....other than Astonomy Domine which is a classic.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I heard this song I was hooked -

Maybe my favorite song -

Have you by chance heard the version of The Great Gig in the Sky sung by Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig (Lucius) during Roger's last tour? They switched it up a bit......I really liked it.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you by chance heard the version of The Great Gig in the Sky sung by Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig (Lucius) during Roger's last tour? They switched it up a bit......I really liked it.
I would love to hear that. I saw Lucius live a few years ago at a local music festival and they were spectacular. I could never get into their studio stuff, but they were fantastic performers.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a live music fan... Saw Pink Floyd in spring 1988, Arrowhead stadium, KCMO. Purchased 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' shortly thereafter. It's always been my favorite Floyd album.

Spent many an evening with my headphones on, laying in front of my old turntable, wearing out my copy of that album.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a live music fan... Saw Pink Floyd in spring 1988, Arrowhead stadium, KCMO. Purchased 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' shortly thereafter. It's always been my favorite Floyd album.

Spent many an evening with my headphones on, laying in front of my old turntable, wearing out my copy of that album.
There really is nothing like live music. Or music enjoyed while laying down, closing your eyes and listening on headphones.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you Waters! Just listened to that. Great version!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the greatest tribute to a fellow band mate. (is their entire catalog post syd a tribute to him in some way?):

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here

Edit note: not to mention the fitting coincidence that it contains an aquarium reference :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the greatest tribute to a fellow band mate. (is their entire catalog post syd a tribute to him in some way?):

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here
Don't forget Shine on....that was all about Syd.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't pick a favorite. I love it all, including Syd.

I wish Waters hadn't become such a jerk. Pink Floyd was truly the sum of their parts.

I saw Gilmour's solo About Face tour. I saw Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason tour in Cleveland. I was going to go to Waters' Berlin Wall show, but my idiot brother gave away the airline points my parents said I could use. They were living in Germany at the time.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear that. I saw Lucius live a few years ago at a local music festival and they were spectacular. I could never get into their studio stuff, but they were fantastic performers.
Yeah, I am the same way. After seeing them at the RW concert I looked them up. Incredible voices....just not my type of music.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget Shine on....that was all about Syd.

yup. I think Syd is in a lot of the songs. The theme of struggling with the insanity of life permeates in a lot of their songs. IMO, I presume that their trying to make sense of his life, being so personal to them, was a huge influence in those themes. And of course, there are the songs that are clearly about or to him.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't pick a favorite. I love it all, including Syd.

I wish Waters hadn't become such a jerk. Pink Floyd was truly the sum of their parts.

I saw Gilmour's solo About Face tour. I saw Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason tour in Cleveland. I was going to go to Waters' Berlin Wall show, but my idiot brother gave away the airline points my parents said I could use. They were living in Germany at the time.
I had a hard time giving this post a like after you called Waters a jerk.....even if he was lol. Lets just call it creative differences :) I saw that same concert in Cleveland as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't incorrect in thinking RW is lyric first.....a lot of his early stuff solo stuff focused primarily on lyrics IMO. His latest definitely sounds more like vintage Floyd. You also aren't incorrect in thinking the rest of the band gave up in The Final Cut.....they kinda were forced out by that time. If you look at the release, it says something to the effect of The Final Cut by Roger Waters with Pink Floyd (I can't remember the actual wording). It does have a lot of gems such as When The Tigers Broke Free and Fletcher Memorial though.

Yeah, good points. I always liked RW as a vocalist though. A bit range limted (much more so now) but he had an interesting voice ….. contrasted well with Gilmour. His introduction to Run Like Hell on the live Wall recording always made me chuckle (the guy's nuts LOL).

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hard time giving this post a like after you called Waters a jerk.....even if he was lol. Lets just call it creative differences :) I saw that same concert in Cleveland as well.

The ugly side of human nature. It's goes with the territory with the great collaborators. Put two amazing talents together and out of the conflicts arises great songs. And then it falls apart when the forget it is the other guy that makes them great. McCartney/Lennon repeats over and over in the music industry.

Thankfully, these two guy grew up before it was too late and got back on stage to share it gain with us with youtube

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back