pink skunk pairing-how big is too late to pair?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to pair a couple of pink skunk clownfish. I know they are all born male. Hoping to purchase two smaller fish that are still male and the larger more dominant will become female.

Looking at purchasing 2 from LA but the only ones they have are "medium" between 1-2". I'd be fairly confident that if I got two that were about 1" those would both still be male. If they send two that are 2" ... would those be too big and possibly already changing to female? Just don't want to chance getting two females.

These would be the tank raised. So not sure if they have a bunch in one tank in their facility that represses them to all still be male?

TIA!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say, after an inch and a quarter it starts getting risky as to still male or not.
I just recently had them ship me all male anthia that were supposed to be medium females, so...though they do back and refund their stuff, it still may not get you what you want.
Maybe try to call their CS line to check first

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was thinking that about the 1" mark may be starting to get risky. I'll check with them to see what they think. If they are holding the batch all in one tank, maybe that would slow down change?

That is a bit nutty that they sent all male anthias... they must have ppl pulling fish for shipment that are not familiar with the fish.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in a while you get something larger/older than ordered if just ordering off site, but they were quick to resolve.

Smaller is always better of course, and while nothing is absolute, seems inch and a quarter is usually a safe bet, but would definitely not go any larger than that.
I'd be sure to call cs first

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 103 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.4%
Back