OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. Still working on getting the APEX programmed. I think I have the two most problematic ones (for me anyway) finished. The lighting schedule and ramping of the Build My LED lamps and the wavemaker. So now, when I get water in it, I can set up the probes and other things. Kind of nice to be able to have this controller on the nano. Also nice that I am able to hardwire this one right to my router. Don't have to worry about wireless now.

DSC03100_zps10603353.jpg

A few pics of the closed loop & pumps. I have a 3/4" drain hole in the back of the tank. This goes to a T fitting. From there, I have an Eheim 1046 on each side of the enclosure, plumbed with silicone tubing (for ease and hopefully less vibration and noise) to each end of the tank. The APEX will control the two pumps in random fashion. I will have two small Tunze pumps in the sump refugium to increase flow over the Miracle Mud. To control those two pumps in the fuge, I am just running a couple of short Y extension cords that I found and plug the Eheims in one side and the Tunzes on the other. So, the APEX will operate both sets of pumps and will only use two outlets on the EB8. I know, I know... sounds a little crazy! :lol:

DSC03109_zps71688ef2.jpg

DSC03111_zps19a6bf11.jpg

DSC03110_zpsa22eaf6e.jpg

DSC03112_zpsff801b80.jpg

I also drilled a hole in my skimmer cup and installed an overflow tube, so I can catch any excessive skimmate. I will put a shutoff switch in that reservoir to kill the skimmer if it gets too full. Same way my Avast skimmate locker is set up.

DSC03119_zps2c14bdf1.jpg

I am also going to try to make my own breakout box for the APEX. I ran across a few project threads and it looks to be really simple. Not much inside those BO boxes, plus I can make mine with easy to plug in jacks instead of screw terminals. We will see how that goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted my EB8 and started in on my "cord management." Hoping to make all these cords a little easier to identify when I need to find them, or need to know where they go. Since I found those stick on letters, I decided to put them to use. :lol: Most cords and outlets (on the EB8 anyway) are now labeled. Trying to keep as much electrical equipment as I can out of harms way from water.

DSC03122_zps421cc10d.jpg

DSC03123_zps91ed0036.jpg

DSC03124_zps53237675.jpg

Also built a Break Out box today for the APEX...

photo_zpsa7f35df8.jpg

photo_zps9cb7b276.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more progress.. Worked on the refugium. Added a couple of mud trays (for Miracle Mud) I made out of (some badly scratched) scrap glass and changed the lighting to a Par 38 5100k bulb that I saw on Melev's Reef. Hid a little more wiring.

DSC03141_zps1995ff09.jpg

DSC03142_zpscc14214e.jpg

DSC03145_zps71ad5505.jpg

DSC03143_zps5aa1fd17.jpg

DSC03137_zpsba8fc594.jpg

DSC03155_zpsbe7d34dc.jpg

DSC03156_zps84c46f49.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it........ Great idea, awesome design, and wonderful craftsmanship.
Thank you! I only hope I can get it back up to what it used to look like when I first built it.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding job Gary, being an avid DIYer myself very much respect what you have accomplished with this build. Wire management is a high priority for my new tank upgrade this time around. Plus it's awfully nice to show the 'Yutes' what us 'Old Salts' are capable of.... lol

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding job Gary, being an avid DIYer myself very much respect what you have accomplished with this build. Wire management is a high priority for my new tank upgrade this time around. Plus it's awfully nice to show the 'Yutes' what us 'Old Salts' are capable of.... lol

Cheers, Todd
Thank you for the kind words Todd! I am definitely an "old salt." Ha! I enjoy this phase of the hobby and I guess that is why my projects take forever to complete. I don't know what ever possessed me to build something like this, but it has been fun. Thanks for checking out Pirate's Reef!

BoatLoad.gif

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking clean and very organized! Looks awesome!
Thanks! I am glad that it "looks" organized in the pics. Not so neat in person. :) Still have a ways to go. I will have some time over the next few days to play with it, in between watching football. Still waiting on a few things to come in the mail too.

Still struggling on what the scape will look like too. Something you will understand - "Indecision may or may not be my problem." ("Don't Chu Know" - Jimmy Buffett). :)

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Wait a minute! Waite a minute! I can name that song in, in just two notes! It's going to look great!!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back