Pirate's Reef - A New Beginning

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, coming along! Keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome set up! Good to see something so original
Thank you! It is different, that's for sure. I know I won't be starting any fads, but it is fun to have something unique.

Wow!!! Great build, lots of cool ideas and some awesome equipment... Love it!!!
Thanks! Yeah, the original tank was more about recycling unused stuff. For this reincarnation, there has been a few new things added.

The APEX is from my other tank and I will have to have it repaired (or replace the base unit). I have also ordered a second "Build My LED" fixture. An 18", supplemental lamp that they call "Purple Wave." I am hoping that it will be similar to running the KZ Fiji Purple T5 lamp, like I do on my 140.

Of course, I do still have to build the tank! Ha!

Looks great, coming along! Keep the pics coming!
Thanks. Slow, but sure. I will keep posting pics as I go along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more progress today. Drilled the panels for the drain, return and the closed loop. The drill is something I traded for years ago from a LFS that went out of business. I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, is sure comes in handy. Still waiting on a few things to come in and then I will be ready to put everything together.

photo2_zps278b11d7.jpg

photo3_zpsc09b7d52.jpg

photo1_zpsd319c988.jpg

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Love the drill! That's the way to go! Very sweet!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Love the drill! That's the way to go! Very sweet!
Yeah that thing is almost 30 years old. I have had it about 25 years. I loaned it to a friend of mine that is a local reefer and he used it while on a few different projects. When I got it back, it was all repainted, new rubber feet, a new chuck key and all greased up. I added a new suction cup to the bottom and now it is as good as new.

It was originally meant to use the old brass tube bits. Those bits had no diamond cutting surfaces and were only slotted brass tubes. You had to build a dam around the cutting area and make a slurry of Silicon Carbide Grain and water. The tubes then "wore" through the glass, with the aid of the silicon carbide grain. Actually, I prefer to use those bits when I can. They cut much slower, but leave a really smooth edge to the hole. I have misplaced some of those bits through the years and they are hard to find now.

This is the bit I used to drill the holes for the 2" bulkheads in the bottom of my old 200. That was about 25 years ago.

photo1_zps0ae46e28.jpg

photo2_zps6b9b3478.jpg

These are some pics of me using an old (well worn) diamond bit, but with help from the old style silicon carbide grain.

4-Drill.jpg

9-Drill.jpg

6-Drill.jpg

Kinda like a history lesson. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope to make a little progress on the nano this long weekend. Off to a good start with a little pre-assembly painting of the outside of the back and side panels. Never went blue before, so this is a first for me. Even painted the visible bulkheads blue to match. An experiment with the Krylon Fusion. We will see if it holds up to the salt water and will let it cure for a good while before the tank is started up. I have done this on my 140 with some of the plumbing six months ago. Some of the painted pvc pipes are below the water line in the sump. So far, no problems and the paint is holding up very well.

photo_zps0e0f31c9.jpg

Phone pics in low light. Looks grainy, but it has a smooth finish.

photo_zps0ee503bb.jpg

Last edited:

Ryans85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build love the look of the new improved chest keep up good work love to see your other tank.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build love the look of the new improved chest keep up good work love to see your other tank.
Thanks! It's something different and it keeps my interest up.

My 140 has seen better days. It is currently on the comeback. I recently revamped everything under the tank and I am starting to add some livestock to it.

This is it a couple of years ago. I am not much of a photographer.

FTS-1-8-11.jpg

New stuff under the stand...

Sump-816-14-1_zps67868e24.jpeg

I took out about half the rock and still working on getting back to looking half-way decent. So, I am pretty much working on two tanks at once. But the 140 is not ready for prime time. Especially when I see some of the awesome tanks here. :)

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the DIY, and the 140 looks great!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the DIY, and the 140 looks great!
Thank you. As I may have said here before, building stuff is a whole lot of the fun of the hobby for me. The problem is, I want to keep my tanks to a manageable number (preferably one big one and one small one), so I don't get to build as often as I would like to. I think that is one of the reasons it takes me so long to finish a project. I don't want the fun to end. :)

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. As I may have said here before, building stuff is a whole lot of the fun of the hobby for me. The problem is, I want to keep my tanks to a manageable number (preferably one big one and one small one), so I don't get to build as often as I would like to. I think that is one of the reasons it takes me so long to finish a project. I don't want the fun to end. :)

I love DIY, I think i go over board with the number of tanks I have... check out my build thread., you'll see what I mean, lol... https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/connecticut-area-reef-society/176406-fish-tank-room.html

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing looking! Fins up on this build! Can't wait to see it filled.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! That old thing! Ha! What type rock are you thinking about?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! That old thing! Ha! What type rock are you thinking about?
I like to do my nano tanks with smaller rocks. My thinking is to scape like you would with a larger tank, just use smaller rocks. That way you can create the illusion of a larger tank and frag-sized corals look better in the tank. Now your fish can look pretty big! Ha!

This is the way I 'scaped my other nano (15 gallons) that I have up and running now, but I am also working on it too. See that fin shaped rock at the top center? That's no accident. Fins up! :)

Scape2.jpg

Scape3.jpg

Scape1.jpg

It got overrun with Aiptasia and algae. I cleaned it up a bit and use it now for a QT tank for incoming fish for my 140 and eventually for the new nano. I had high hopes for it, but it suffered just like my 140. I was going to take it down and store it, but now I think I want to get it looking a little better.

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that. Looks good and your theory with using small rocks does make sense. Like the fin rock! Tuning in!!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that. Looks good and your theory with using small rocks does make sense. Like the fin rock! Tuning in!!
Those rocks are not loosly stacked either. There are 5 separate assemblies that are epoxied together to form a larger structure. Made it easier to place corals and not worry about rock slides. The original Pirate's Reef "scape" was just smaller rocks stacked up (pretty much in a wall). It was a pain when I would bump something and a lot of it tumbled down. I won't go down that road again.

This was the original "stack" from Pirate's Reef. Also originally had black sand, but that is another story. It was a rock wall (more accepted 8-9 years ago when it was built). It still has the look of a larger tank than it was.

piratesReef_setup3.jpg

I have a 20lb bag of rubble rock from BRS and a lot of rock I pulled out of the 140. I am not above busting up bigger rocks to get something closer to the size that I need. That rock needs to be bleached though.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we now have a tank to work with. Assembled it this morning. Just took a few build pics, as it is pretty much a non-stop process once you start. Taping off your joints really makes this easier and neater. Some of it has already been removed, after those beads were smoothed out. Just takes a little planning and prep time.

Two sides
image_zps4f664db1.jpg

Three sides
image_zps6e6d19c7.jpg

Four sides
image_zps6d7eaf47.jpg

Only some painters tape remaining holding it square to dry.
image_zpsbc0fbb8b.jpg

And look - square with no corner clamps! :-D
photo_zps3da551a8.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, you been busy this morning, lol... looks good!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back