Pistol shrimp are clown fish

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two clown fish and a pistol shrimp. And some coral (torch, frogspawn, hammer and mushroom) I woke up and one of the clown fish was dead in the shrimps cave that he made. This is the second time this happened I got fish like 5 months ago and the same thing happened 3 weeks after I got them. Then I went 4 months without fish. Then I just got these new clowns and one is dead. All of the parameters are all good and the water has been stable for months now.

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert. Also have lost fish that “seem” health. The problem I’ve found in my research and from ppl here is that most lfs and online retailers use copper in there systems so when you get a fish it appears healthy but can have masked issues. I had a complete wipeout not long ago due to velvet I now qt all fish

OP
OP
gaving

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert. Also have lost fish that “seem” health. The problem I’ve found in my research and from ppl here is that most lfs and online retailers use copper in there systems so when you get a fish it appears healthy but can have masked issues. I had a complete wipeout not long ago due to velvet I now qt all fish
I got my fish from a local fish store but when ever I put fish in my tank I never use any of there water.

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my fish from a local fish store but when ever I put fish in my tank I never use any of there water.
Neither do I but if they are running copper “which most do from my understanding” and that fish say came into the lfs that Monday and you bought on a Friday then technically it hasn’t been in therapeutic levels for the time needed to treat. Which in turn just masks whatever they are carrying.

OP
OP
gaving

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither do I but if they are running copper “which most do from my understanding” and that fish say came into the lfs that Monday and you bought on a Friday then technically it hasn’t been in therapeutic levels for the time needed to treat. Which in turn just masks whatever they are carrying.
This same thing happened 5 months ago when I got two clowns. I hade them for 1 month the. The next day I found the shrimp eating them.

OP
OP
gaving

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now look at it as every fish I get is sick and at the very least needs to go into a observation tank for 30 days before going into my main display.
I definitely think I will need to quarantine fish the next time.

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think I will need to quarantine fish the next time.
I’m new to the whole keeping fish world however over the last 6-8 months that I’ve had fish I’ve learned a lot. I started with one tank I now have 4 set up in my house. My main dt a treatment tank a observation tank and I’m setting up a coral qt now. I lost all but one fish 6 weeks ago due to velvet. Presumably from either a fish I didn’t quarantine or from a frag I didn’t quarantine. I introduced both at the same time from the same lfs and a week later I saw signs of what I thought was ick. Turned out to be velvet and wiped my tank out in 48hours.

OP
OP
gaving

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the whole keeping fish world however over the last 6-8 months that I’ve had fish I’ve learned a lot. I started with one tank I now have 4 set up in my house. My main dt a treatment tank a observation tank and I’m setting up a coral qt now. I lost all but one fish 6 weeks ago due to velvet. Presumably from either a fish I didn’t quarantine or from a frag I didn’t quarantine. I introduced both at the same time from the same lfs and a week later I saw signs of what I thought was ick. Turned out to be velvet and wiped my tank out in 48hours.
I am also new 6 months. I will definitely need to set up a quarantine tank.

OP
OP
gaving

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more likely that the clownfish died and the shrimp carried the body into its hole to eat. After all, shrimp are scavengers.

When I had one, it didn't bother any of my fish, including the clowns.
That is one of my thoughts as well I am just confused on why they died then.

OP
OP
gaving

gaving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the clownfish looking healthy when you got it? Where did you get it?
I got it from a local fish store and they were looking healthy. I got two of them one of them got eaten/died. The other one is still in the tank . I have him in a small container so he is staying to temperature but the shrimp can’t get to him if he dies.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the clown died then. What species of pistol shrimp is it? Tiger, candycane?

Make sure the clown in the container gets enough aeration also.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always helpful to include those good water parameters and a tank pic, your good and others good may be different.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back