Pistol Shrimp Cleaning Watchman Goby

Schwartzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, this is my first post so bear with me... I noticed something interesting in the tank tonight. I saw my yellow watchman goby hanging around the main burrow of my red banded pistol shrimp. This was moderately exciting because they haven't paired yet. (The goby has been hanging out on the other side of the tank for the most part). My excitement turned into curiosity though as i saw the goby open his mouth and gills, as if he was injured (i know hes not). Then I realized the pistol shrimp had his legs and claws in the goby's gills. It looked as if he was cleaning or scrapping something off of him. I have never seen or heard of this behavior before so I was hoping one of you knowledgeable folks could help me decipher what the heck is happening! I've attached a video as an example.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.MOV
    41.9 MB

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. My YWG will bring pellets back to his pistol shrimp, when he gets to the burrow he will drop them out his gills. Haven't seen the shrimp go on there like that though.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ours is the same with his goby. Even fed her when she got a bad sting from the nem.

OP
OP
Schwartzy

Schwartzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. My YWG will bring pellets back to his pistol shrimp, when he gets to the burrow he will drop them out his gills. Haven't seen the shrimp go on there like that though.
Yeah it's weird! I didn't see the goby bring any food. He was hanging around that same spot for at least 20 minutes prior and the pistol shrimp goes crazy if I put food in the tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very true. I was thinking that it was perhaps a prerequisite for the pairing process, seeing as this is the first real interaction they've had (that I have seen)
They will explore each other like that. You have a beautiful pair!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Back