Pistol shrimp clicking claw

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new pistol shrimp today (to replace my old one). He immediately went to work excavating a burrow (and then some). My fire fish saw a small opening and went to back into it, but the shrimp wasn't having it, lol. They both tried. The sound in person is really loud!

Sorry for the quality of the video, but I didn't want to get too close.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll be buds eventually. Mine used to wake me up at night. They can be quite loud! :)
I don't think the firefish will mate up with him, but I actually have another blue spot goby who was all out of sorts when his shrimp died. He has been sitting by the burrow all day but I think the shrimp hasn't allowed him in just yet. I heard a lot of clicking today, but the goby stayed right at the entrance.

I really hope that they bond because it is really sad watching my goby (Phineas) with no purpose in life.

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you can’t leave lfs without taking something home... introducing newest members to the gang. Pistol shrimp and goby
Within 5 Minutes of being in the tank a nassarius ventured a little too close.
12B3E2AD-1375-4AD4-AF69-91AEC1DE08BB.jpeg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you can’t leave lfs without taking something home... introducing newest members to the gang. Pistol shrimp and goby
Within 5 Minutes of being in the tank a nassarius ventured a little too close.
12B3E2AD-1375-4AD4-AF69-91AEC1DE08BB.jpeg

I know this thread is about pistol shrimps but that yellow sponge is gorgeous

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is about pistol shrimps but that yellow sponge is gorgeous
Thanks. I always get this wrong and end up calling it dendrophilia but i think it is dendronephthya coral. A non photosynthetic soft variety that is apparently really hard to keep. We haven’t even had it for a week so we shall see how we go. But it was the colour that drew us to it

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I always get this wrong and end up calling it dendrophilia but i think it is dendronephthya coral. A non photosynthetic soft variety that is apparently really hard to keep. We haven’t even had it for a week so we shall see how we go. But it was the colour that drew us to it

I doubt that's a dendronepthya (I study corals on the side) Maybe post it in the soft coral forum and ask for an ID and tag me. Macro pics will be very helpful if you can provide them. Dendronepthya and many other neptheid corals have very smooth "branches" with profuse polyps which I see none of

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that's a dendronepthya (I study corals on the side) Maybe post it in the soft coral forum and ask for an ID and tag me. Macro pics will be very helpful if you can provide them. Dendronepthya and many other neptheid corals have very smooth "branches" with profuse polyps which I see none of
Thanks, I was going on what the lfs told us about it. Will do that now...but I don’t know how to tag

868AA44D-5374-4FD1-AB08-9692B65A5E75.jpeg

C65A7ED7-308D-438D-AD49-BA1F20007565.jpeg

02852FAF-103C-476D-BC5D-E6ACBF9F106C.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back