Pistol shrimp ID

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211128_084524137.jpg
PXL_20211128_084512783.jpg

Came off during dipping my coral, but he seems to be doing ok. Is this something I'd want to add to my tank? Do you know specifically what type of pistol shrimp it is? I'm very interested in a pistol shrimp and goby combo but I don't know which variety of shrimp it is and if it's one that'd pair with an appropriate goby. Thanks for the help!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211128_084524137.jpg
PXL_20211128_084512783.jpg

Came off during dipping my coral, but he seems to be doing ok. Is this something I'd want to add to my tank? Do you know specifically what type of pistol shrimp it is? I'm very interested in a pistol shrimp and goby combo but I don't know which variety of shrimp it is and if it's one that'd pair with an appropriate goby. Thanks for the help!
I have a feeling if it snuck on a coral frag it’s still a small baby and so won’t have it’s true coloration, this is why I would LOVE for my LFS to not dip coral. I love finding new reef safe fish/CUC/Inverts on them.

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling if it snuck on a coral frag it’s still a small baby and so won’t have it’s true coloration, this is why I would LOVE for my LFS to not dip coral. I love finding new reef safe fish/CUC/Inverts on them.
Thanks for the reply! Ahh ok that's hard, I guess I can put him in my sump for a while until he reaches maturity? Just hard as I have a red sea max nanao (20g AIO) which means he'll be in a little section at the back not a real sump. Any other suggestions of what to do with him? I love keeping helpful/wanted hitchikers but I know if I release him into my tank I'll likely never see him again so would want to make sure I actually want him there before I do that!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Ahh ok that's hard, I guess I can put him in my sump for a while until he reaches maturity? Just hard as I have a red sea max nanao (20g AIO) which means he'll be in a little section at the back not a real sump. Any other suggestions of what to do with him? I love keeping helpful/wanted hitchikers but I know if I release him into my tank I'll likely never see him again so would want to make sure I actually want him there before I do that!
You could try a bit of rubble or two in an acclimation box until it reaches maturity?

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a bit of rubble or two in an acclimation box until it reaches maturity?
That's a good idea, I'll have to try something like that and see what I can do. I don't have an acclimation box handy though and am going to go away for a few days, I suppose I could also keep him in a bucket with a water pump short term? With a small rock for him to hide in. Will he need light?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea, I'll have to try something like that and see what I can do. I don't have an acclimation box handy though and am going to go away for a few days, I suppose I could also keep him in a bucket with a water pump short term? With a small rock for him to hide in. Will he need light?
These inverts usually hide in burrows so to me they don’t need light but will probably have to acclimate to a brighter lighting.

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These inverts usually hide in burrows so to me they don’t need light but will probably have to acclimate to a brighter lighting.
Sounds good, I've got him in a little bucket now with a few little rocks of media and a small water pump. I can still hear him popping away, incredible the noise he makes considering how small he is! Hope I'll be able to ID him soon :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I've got him in a little bucket now with a few little rocks of media and a small water pump. I can still hear him popping away, incredible the noise he makes considering how small he is! Hope I'll be able to ID him soon :)
I’d love to see how he grows!! If he snaps then it’s certainly a snapper (It could be a mantis however wrong body shape).

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a few months old, but I just found a pair of Alpheus lottini pistol shrimp in a new birdsnest colony (and a pair of trapezia septata crabs). Apparently, there are some species of pistol shrimp that are communisal with coral versus the more well known burrowing pistol shrimp. Since your shrimp came off of a coral, I suspect it might be a coral pistol shrimp species.
71A17032-7C23-4DDF-8971-F877C7EDD068.jpeg
Here’s a pic of my hitchhikers:
FF5AA33D-9E9D-46BE-9BBC-81DA42D25C38.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back