Pistol shrimp list

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a yasha goby and I was looking for a shrimp to pair him with. I already know about tiger pistol shrimp, but I was wondering if there’s anything a bit more colorful. I already have one paired with a yellow watchman and his colors are dull to say the least.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy cane pistol. I have two pairs with my yasha gobies. They are a bit better size wise too; no crazy sand movements.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy cane pistol. I have two pairs with my yasha gobies. They are a bit better size wise too; no crazy sand movements.
You’re not joking about that sand movement.my tiger is under an unsupported zoa “island” that has an arch connecting it to the main rock structure. I’m probably gonna come home to a broken arch because my shrimp dug out too much sand.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not joking about that sand movement.my tiger is under an unsupported zoa “island” that has an arch connecting it to the main rock structure. I’m probably gonna come home to a broken arch because my shrimp dug out too much sand.
definitely try a candy cane pistol. They are much smaller. Mine will make mounds of sand, but he is too small to do any real damage and never steals any frags. I had diamond watchman gobies for a few days and realized I did not want something that would kick up a sand storm.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger and Candy Cane is basically your only two symbiotic ones.

Curly Cue pistols pair with curly cue anemones instead of gobies. All the others are solo for the most part.

There's maybe a couple out there but not really retail, often sold as hitch hikers, but specifying any species that way is pretty difficult and untrust worthy if they use a stock image. WYSIWYG sections can sell already paired rarer species too but actively searching for them might be difficult.

Alpheus formosus (blue leg) might be a 3rd option but I genuinely cannot find photo evidence of them pairing.

Tigers and Candy Cane are both great though. Tigers just get bigger while Candy's are more suitable for nanos or peaceful setups. I wouldn't have a reef without one (but they made sure i wouldn't have a plate coral either :face-with-spiral-eyes:)

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curly Cue pistols pair with curly cue anemones instead of gobies.
Yeah I made that mistake earlie on.my curly cue pistol shrimp killed my first goby durring an emergency tank Crisis where I put all of my fish in a small tank for a short period of time. I was in the process of building the rock scape for my new tank when I herd the pistol shrimp snap. I went to investigate and found my shrimp with a newly dead goby next to him.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back