Pistol Shrimp lost both claws!

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pistol shrimp we ordered got very stressed during shipping and dropped both claws within the first two days, i think he’s doing better now when I saw him yesterday but he’s not burrowing (assuming he’s unable to) and Im worried he can’t eat?

Hardest part is I don’t even know where he is half the time despite there only being one rock in the tank, but multiple large empty shells for the hermits that he could hide in.

What can i do? I read that the claws can take up to a month to grow back, will I have to spot feed for that long?

I put the Y bar goby in his tank to hopefully encourage him to come out/make him feel more comfortable, maybe they’ll pair? I dont know

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had many pistols and I’ve never had one drop both claws, one is no issue of course but this one’s got me stressing a bit.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d guess it’ll be hiding for a while (it probably doesn’t feel very safe with no claws to protect itself). In complete seriousness, as long as it has a mouth and stomach, it should be capable of eating - though the logistics are a bit tougher with no claws.

I’d hope the two will pair up for you, as there’s some evidence that pistol shrimp primarily feed on their partner goby’s feces*, but until the claws grow back I would try spot feeding the little guy just in case.

* https://www.researchgate.net/public...rrows_as_vital_food_for_their_partner_shrimps

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d guess it’ll be hiding for a while (it probably doesn’t feel very safe with no claws to protect itself). In complete seriousness, as long as it has a mouth and stomach, it should be capable of eating - though the logistics are a bit tougher with no claws.

I’d hope the two will pair up for you, as there’s some evidence that pistol shrimp primarily feed on their partner goby’s feces*, but until the claws grow back I would try spot feeding the little guy just in case.

* https://www.researchgate.net/public...rrows_as_vital_food_for_their_partner_shrimps
Thank you for the info! I’m still trying to find him but the second I do I’ll give him a nice helping of brine shrimp lol

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also good to hear about the goby feces study, as I always worry the shrimp isnt eating enough when paired.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back