Pistol shrimp problem

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried everything to catch a pistol shrimp that i cant id because i still haven’t seen it that came in on some rock so im wondering can i just put a goby in there and see if it finds it and pairs with it and i was also wondering if i put a big pistol shrimp in there like a tiger pistol shrimp will the tiger pistol find it and kill it or is there and other fish or invert that will find it and kill it?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard the it clicking super fast like snapping you fingers 3-4 times really fast and the clicks are usually really loud but rarely the click is a little quiet, are these things pistol shrimp can do?
Its small. Like really small. Do you have sand?

Upvote 0

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all that is going on, I would remove rock work piece by peice, inspect it will as when I was moving my pico to a nano my mini candy cane pistol shrimp hid in a crevice then place in a large tub filled with tank water. Even if the shrimp decides to stay in the sand, you shouldn’t up’s be able to find its burrow and if you still can’t, give it a while and you should see it pop up occasionally and make a new entrance. I wouldn’t risk putting any fish in there for now and make sure to take photos if you find it.

Make sure the watch where you put your fingers on the rock.

A full photo of the aquarium of how it looks now would be nice so I can give more detailed and more precise information/suggestions.

Upvote 0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, can really small ones still be loud?
Mine is only an inch and he's been an inch for as long as I've had him (over a year).

And no i don't like him as i never see him. PS are the dumbest animal to add to a tank unless there is a variety that comes out and you can see; that i dont know of.

If you have sand you will see tunnels and sand piles where he has been. But if not then hes burrowed in crevice's inside your rock work. How big of a tank are we discussing here and how crazy is the rock work?

I could get mine out if i wanted to but hes not hurting anything other than the annoying clicking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is only an inch and he's been an inch for as long as I've had him (over a year).

And no i don't like him as i never see him. PS are the dumbest animal to add to a tank unless there is a variety that comes out and you can see; that i dont know of.

If you have sand you will see tunnels and sand piles where he has been. But if not then hes burrowed in crevice's inside your rock work. How big of a tank are we discussing here and how crazy is the rock work?

I could get mine out if i wanted to but hes not hurting anything other than the annoying clicking.
It’s only a 55 gallon with 30 pounds of rock but I still can even find out which rock it’s around, I already looked at every piece and did a hypo dip but it’s still there so I just said screw it and put my rock together because it wasn’t hurting anything but now I’m scared it’s a mantis so I trying to find out if it’s a pistol or mantis by their clicks that’s why I asked that question earlier.

Upvote 0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only a 55 gallon with 30 pounds of rock but I still can even find out which rock it’s around, I already looked at every piece and did a hypo dip but it’s still there so I just said screw it and put my rock together because it wasn’t hurting anything but now I’m scared it’s a mantis so I trying to find out if it’s a pistol or mantis by their clicks that’s why I asked that question earlier.
If it was me i would take out a 1/4 of the rock out at a time and place it in another container with powerhead and heater in another room. Process of elimination. IMO its gonna be on the bottom. But im a one person study.

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like mantis behavior.

If its caught lemme know, even the hitchhiking species have a nice retail value or make good isolated species tanks.

Mantis don't necessarily kill everything, especially if its small it won't try killing a cleaner shrimp, it'll simply use fight or flight and vs. a bigger shrimp it'll be defensive. I've had my giant O. scyllarus living with fish for nearly 3 months now, no casualties but I also keep her fed. A tiny one will survive off regular tank feeding and amphipods without the need to go hunt.

I still wouldn't add anything until you get to the bottom of it, but might be worth reducing the flow, dropping some hermit crabs in there, and then looking for broken shells since they can't decompose. Mantis absolutely will break shells to pieces, pistol shrimp can't.

Upvote 0

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have 2 pistol shrimps that live with one goby, ours are out all day every day

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like mantis behavior.

If its caught lemme know, even the hitchhiking species have a nice retail value or make good isolated species tanks.

Mantis don't necessarily kill everything, especially if its small it won't try killing a cleaner shrimp, it'll simply use fight or flight and vs. a bigger shrimp it'll be defensive. I've had my giant O. scyllarus living with fish for nearly 3 months now, no casualties but I also keep her fed. A tiny one will survive off regular tank feeding and amphipods without the need to go hunt.

I still wouldn't add anything until you get to the bottom of it, but might be worth reducing the flow, dropping some hermit crabs in there, and then looking for broken shells since they can't decompose. Mantis absolutely will break shells to pieces, pistol shrimp can't.
Does the mantis come out often because I’ve never seen whatever it is even after sitting if front of the tank for a long time

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp recently lost/dispose of it's larger claw, after research I I understand they do that to swap from left to right. I don't understand OP questions but I'm here to learn, I see my pistol and goby daily

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Species specific.

Don't know which one it is but they can very reclusive, or they could warm up and swim around the tank.
What foods do mantis like the most? I put a trap in there with some flakes and it started popping like crazy but it still won’t come out even though everything else in the tank is coming out.

Upvote 0

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll grab what floats by, so if you don't know where to look probably won't help unless you can hold it still in place in various places and see if it attacks it.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What food do pistols and mantis like the most so that way I can make a trap? Also the video isn’t working for me can you post it again because I would really like to hear it?
for mantis, having had them, they will eat your crabs, snails and shrimp. For trap baiting which Is how I removed mine, I used trap as shown below and baited with a piece of shrimp and was fortunate to catch it in under 3 hours

trap3.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for mantis, having had them, they will eat your crabs, snails and shrimp. For trap baiting which Is how I removed mine, I used trap as shown below and baited with a piece of shrimp and was fortunate to catch it in under 3 hours

trap3.jpg
How did you find out where it was and how did you know it was a mantis?

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back