Placing frag plugs into rockscape

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it always necessary to glue or putty the frag plug to the rock in the the tank? My Caribe Sea rocks seem to have a lot of nice pre drilled slot holes in varying places and the stem of the frag plug fits perfectly in the hole. If the Coral is level and does not appear to be in danger of blowing out due to water flow, is it necessary to still glue it in place? I was thinking that it would be easier to move if needed and less unnatural substances being included into the water column of the tank. Will coraline algae eventually adhere the plug to the rock anyways at some point?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Does the coraline eventually cover the plug anyway and adhere it in plce?
Umm... not sure on this. I wouldn’t imagine so. If it did adhere at all, I would guess it would be very weak.

As long as it’s pretty firm in the rock hole, it would be good.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a dab of glue. Easy to break free if need be. All it takes is one snail to knock it over and fall into the depths of your rock work never to be seen again. How do I know this? :rolleyes:

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not always necessary but there’s no downsides of doing it. It prevents it from falling over, getting knocked by clean up crew, etc. If you can, I would recommend cutting the stem off and as much of the frag plug because some hitchhikers can survive the dip and live in that stem and frag plug and now you have an issue. Plus, you don’t have an ugly stem and a circular disk visible as day when your drags are growing in your aquarium. Leave the holes for your fish to hide or swim through/in

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can stick the frag stem into the hole if the frag will not be blown or pushed over by CUC. I would suggest to remove when possible any frag from the plug that it came on then do your dip. If you want the frag on a plug, purchase new plugs.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can stick the frag stem into the hole if the frag will not be blown or pushed over by CUC. I would suggest to remove when possible any frag from the plug that it came on then do your dip. If you want the frag on a plug, purchase new plugs.

But that is why caribesea put those perfect little round holes in their rocks though right?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the Caribsea with drilled holes, then yes the holes are for the frag stems. I still suggest you remove the plugs the frag came with, do a dip and replace the plugs with new ones. You don’t want any pests getting into your DT. Pests can hid between frag and the plug and not be affected during dip.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the Caribsea with drilled holes, then yes the holes are for the frag stems. I still suggest you remove the plugs the frag came with, do a dip and replace the plugs with new ones. You don’t want any pests getting into your DT. Pests can hid between frag and the plug and not be affected during dip.

That's good info thanks. I was not aware pests could hide that well and defeat the dip process.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer super glue gel. Holds enough until the coral encrusts, much easier to snap free if you change your mind and much more discreet than epoxy. That being said not really a fan of plugs either until they are encrusted over and not so obvious. Wherever possible I glue branches, stems or underside of corals directly where I want them. At the very least cut the stem and glue the flat disc.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just put the plug in the holes, but I agree with others that they are likely to get knocked over by cuc’s unless they’re really jammed in there. I use reef epoxy and have found that I can get the plug out if i twist it enough. The epoxy putty does make the skimmer go wild after you first put it in the tank, but it calms down after that. You may need to empty the skimmer cup a few hours after using the epoxy. I agree with everyone about replacing the plugs with new ones unless the coral is so encrusted that you can’t.

Back