Plagued With Aiptasia

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently More & More Aiptasia has been popping up all over my tank. I've nearly ran out of aiptasia X and i'm looking for something that sorts of eats aiptasia. I currently have 2 wyoming whites, Power blue tang, and starry blenny and an assorted zoanthid species which i picked up from a lfs.

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point I had so much Aiptasia in my 125g that you couldn't see rock in between them. Literally hundreds of them.
I added 10 Peppermint shrimp and a Matted File Fish. It took a while, but they got rid of them.
I believe the Peppermint shrimp did most of the work.

I also had luck with Peppermint shrimp years ago in a 90g. 2 for 2 so far.

kuruptko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use any chemical ...go with a natural approach like in the ocean ...i used 4 peppermint shrimp to clean my 150 gallon tank and sump and all the aiphasia was gone in about a month

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp all day. One shrimp ate 20 tasia'- in one day- in a ten gallon nano I had.

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If tearing down your system and starting over is an option, I would consider doing it. Once your system is taken over by aiptasia, it is extremely difficult to eliminate.

Recently More & More Aiptasia has been popping up all over my tank. I've nearly ran out of aiptasia X and i'm looking for something that sorts of eats aiptasia. I currently have 2 wyoming whites, Power blue tang, and starry blenny and an assorted zoanthid species which i picked up from a lfs.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only my tank was so small. I have a 108G
Well, I can say that if you get a good peppermint, he'll clear it sooner than later. Like the other folks mentioned, they got a few. I usually get one, because I don't want that many peppers taking up my diversification. I'd pop a medium to large one in, and take note of all the pests, and see if any disappear. Sometimes you get one that just doesn't want to work. Most of the time though, one will decimate the tasia' colony quick as all get out.

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No highjack intended, but do peps get along with cleaner shrimp and feather dusters? I've got a couple monster skunks and alot of nice feathers in a 90 that I would love to make aiptasia-less lol

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any issues with them harming anything other than aiptasia. They WILL however, walk indiscriminately all over wherever/whatever they please. You'll be admiring how much your zoas have grown, and how healthy they look... Then BAM! Peppermint shrimp foot, smashed in their face. Candy Canes finally opening up after a rough few days... Bam! Peppermint foot sandwich for breakfast. The only other issue I've ever had with peppermints is having a few disappear... and I mean, like totally disappear. No exoskeleton floating around, no fish big enough to eat them (or anything else for that matter); not laying on the floor like a dried snack. Just disappear. Other than all that, completely harmless in my experience.

OP
OP
S

Sfplaya1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tearing down your system and starting over is an option, I would consider doing it. Once your system is taken over by aiptasia, it is extremely difficult to eliminate.
It’s not completely taken over but soon as i kill a few within 2 days there’s more.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always used peps with no problem.quick,cheap and easy.just take the time to acclimate them sense they sometimes shock out and die if not.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried peppermint but my Melenaurus made a quick snack out of them so I haven't bothered getting more since. I do have a CBB but he only eats the ones that are easy to get to, so I still get them in crevices and tight spots. I've heard of the peppermint going rogue after the aptasia is gone and to start eating some coral.
Since I don't have a bad infestation I use Aptasia-X. If it was to ever get worse I'd consider getting Berghia Nudibranchs. Aptasia is all the Nudi's eat. My Melanaurus will most likely eat them and they are not cheap, but they only feed at night while the Melanaurus is sleeping, so it might be worth taking a chance.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been using Aptasia-X also but could never keep up with them. Added 3 peppermints to a 66g and 3-4 weeks later not a single sign of them.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a small aiptasia outbreak and got 4 peppermints and 1 copperband butterfly from liveaquaria. The same day I put them in the tank every single aiptasia disappeared. None have returned. The other method is berghia nudibranches but they are really expensive and all die once the aiptasia is gone. AiptasiaX, JoesJuice and the other chemical solutions don't work long term because if you see an aiptasia, there are 20 more that you don't see. Only an aiptasia predator is good for long-term eradication.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great luck with peppermint shrimp also. My melanarus doesn't bother them, but I keep him well fed. I have a peppermint and a cleaner in my 75 gal without issues, honestly I hardly ever see the peppermint shrimp.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back