Plagued With Aiptasia

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Sfplaya1, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Sfplaya1

Sfplaya1 Active Member

Recently More & More Aiptasia has been popping up all over my tank. I've nearly ran out of aiptasia X and i'm looking for something that sorts of eats aiptasia. I currently have 2 wyoming whites, Power blue tang, and starry blenny and an assorted zoanthid species which i picked up from a lfs.

Tags:

2. BobNY

BobNY Member

At one point I had so much Aiptasia in my 125g that you couldn't see rock in between them. Literally hundreds of them.
    I added 10 Peppermint shrimp and a Matted File Fish. It took a while, but they got rid of them.
    I believe the Peppermint shrimp did most of the work.

I also had luck with Peppermint shrimp years ago in a 90g. 2 for 2 so far.

Cae likes this.
  3. BobNY

BobNY Member

I forgot to add. Any time I tried Aiptasia X or Joes juice they seem to have killed the ones I hit and caused 10 more to sprout up near by.
    Same with the Marano Wand.

4. kuruptko

kuruptko Member

Peppermint shrimp is the way to go

Cae, Melinda01 and mdbannister like this.
  5. kuruptko

kuruptko Member

I wouldn't use any chemical ...go with a natural approach like in the ocean ...i used 4 peppermint shrimp to clean my 150 gallon tank and sump and all the aiphasia was gone in about a month

Cae and mdbannister like this.
  6. Sfplaya1

Sfplaya1 Active Member

7. BobNY

BobNY Member

Yes, those are the ones

8. Tedzilla

Tedzilla Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Peppermint shrimp all day. One shrimp ate 20 tasia'- in one day- in a ten gallon nano I had.

Cae likes this.
  9. Sfplaya1

Sfplaya1 Active Member

If only my tank was so small. I have a 108G

Tedzilla likes this.
  10. aquavista99

aquavista99 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

If tearing down your system and starting over is an option, I would consider doing it. Once your system is taken over by aiptasia, it is extremely difficult to eliminate.

Rick Cavanaugh likes this.
  11. Tedzilla

Well, I can say that if you get a good peppermint, he'll clear it sooner than later. Like the other folks mentioned, they got a few. I usually get one, because I don't want that many peppers taking up my diversification. I'd pop a medium to large one in, and take note of all the pests, and see if any disappear. Sometimes you get one that just doesn't want to work. Most of the time though, one will decimate the tasia' colony quick as all get out.

Melinda01 likes this.
  12. FoxyFace

FoxyFace Member

Copperbands are also great for aiptasia.

cracker likes this.
  13. rstrann

rstrann Active Member

No highjack intended, but do peps get along with cleaner shrimp and feather dusters? I've got a couple monster skunks and alot of nice feathers in a 90 that I would love to make aiptasia-less lol

14. Tedzilla

I've never had any issues with them harming anything other than aiptasia. They WILL however, walk indiscriminately all over wherever/whatever they please. You'll be admiring how much your zoas have grown, and how healthy they look... Then BAM! Peppermint shrimp foot, smashed in their face. Candy Canes finally opening up after a rough few days... Bam! Peppermint foot sandwich for breakfast. The only other issue I've ever had with peppermints is having a few disappear... and I mean, like totally disappear. No exoskeleton floating around, no fish big enough to eat them (or anything else for that matter); not laying on the floor like a dried snack. Just disappear. Other than all that, completely harmless in my experience.

15. Sfplaya1

Sfplaya1 Active Member

It’s not completely taken over but soon as i kill a few within 2 days there’s more.

16. mike werner

mike werner Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

always used peps with no problem.quick,cheap and easy.just take the time to acclimate them sense they sometimes shock out and die if not.

Tedzilla likes this.
  17. jd371

jd371 Valuable Member

I tried peppermint but my Melenaurus made a quick snack out of them so I haven't bothered getting more since. I do have a CBB but he only eats the ones that are easy to get to, so I still get them in crevices and tight spots. I've heard of the peppermint going rogue after the aptasia is gone and to start eating some coral.
    Since I don't have a bad infestation I use Aptasia-X. If it was to ever get worse I'd consider getting Berghia Nudibranchs. Aptasia is all the Nudi's eat. My Melanaurus will most likely eat them and they are not cheap, but they only feed at night while the Melanaurus is sleeping, so it might be worth taking a chance.

18. Jimbo662

Jimbo662 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019

I had been using Aptasia-X also but could never keep up with them. Added 3 peppermints to a 66g and 3-4 weeks later not a single sign of them.

19. ReeferBob

ReeferBob Valuable Member

I just had a small aiptasia outbreak and got 4 peppermints and 1 copperband butterfly from liveaquaria. The same day I put them in the tank every single aiptasia disappeared. None have returned. The other method is berghia nudibranches but they are really expensive and all die once the aiptasia is gone. AiptasiaX, JoesJuice and the other chemical solutions don't work long term because if you see an aiptasia, there are 20 more that you don't see. Only an aiptasia predator is good for long-term eradication.

vic5hands and Tedzilla like this.
  20. CindyKz

CindyKz Well-Known Member

I have had great luck with peppermint shrimp also. My melanarus doesn't bother them, but I keep him well fed. I have a peppermint and a cleaner in my 75 gal without issues, honestly I hardly ever see the peppermint shrimp.

Draft saved Draft deleted