Plagued With Aiptasia

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Sfplaya1, Mar 6, 2018.

1. bluedevils6653

bluedevils6653 Active Member

Berghia Nudibranchs, they are not cheap but will get the job done

2. Tanglover11

Tanglover11 Member

Berghia Nudibranchs are awesome, but delicate at the beginning, put in a baby food jar and let them come out on their own, once they acclimate you will rarely see them but your aiptasias will slowly disappear

TinyChocobo likes this.
  3. Anton Wray

Anton Wray New Member

Green file fish. Cleaned up my infestation.

4. Anton Wray

Anton Wray New Member

Green file fish cleaned ip my infestation.

5. TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

This is the solution I've always heard/seen. They come out at night and can get inbetween the rocks / small / tight places to eat the aiptasia you can't see that even a peppermint shrimp couldn't get to.

6. Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc Active Member

Bergia nudibranches - reliable and reef safe. (But gram for gram probably the priciest option!) I was getting overrun and the bergias completely eradicated every trace of the aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimp are very hit and miss. Some are voracious eaters others won’t touch it. Personally, I’m 0 for 3 with them.

File fish and butterfly fish also work.

IME, chemical alternatives like AiptasiaX and joes juice are good for zapping a few, but not when you have a massive infestation.

7. Osteoclast

Osteoclast Member

Yes in terms of LPS and SPS I have had no issues with Klein's, Burgess, or with my current Tinkers. My Tinkers is now 2 years old--a very hardy fish. Eats all sizes of aptasia. I do not have any soft coral in my tank so cannot comment on those. But I have been very pleased. I know others have had success with these but certainly many reef safe fish develop tastes for coral. I do have a few Aptasia in my overflow so they are hard to completely eradicate but none in my display so I do not care much at this point.

8. Dawn Dababneh

Dawn Dababneh Member

Berghia Nudibranches eat only Aiptasia. They can be a bit pricey but, well worth the investment. They will eat every one of them the down side is they will die after they have eaten all of the Aiptasia

9. Christina M

Christina M New Member

Peppermint shrimp are my rock anemone :mad:

Cae likes this.
  10. Cae

Cae Member

Peppermint shrimp and if that doesn't work get some Peppermint shrimp. For 100 gal I would get 10. They're pretty cheap and after they clean up the aptasia they will clean up under the rock work for you.

11. Sfplaya1

Sfplaya1 Active Member

Peppermints seem to be getting busy and I only picked up 2.

Tedzilla likes this.
  12. Marie7

Marie7 Member

If i have to choose I will go for the boiling water but it's tricky also as they close as soon as u touch them, getting in the center of the Spartacus is an art. U also heard that the remedies sold at pet stores may alter the tank when those are added, so I decide to go the natural way with the peppermint shrimps. Good luck!

13. Tautog

Tautog Valuable Member

I have 2 wrasse, I introduced 6 Peppermint shrimp with lights out one week, and added another 6 with lights out the following week. Most Apitasia gone.

14. 75pxatr

75pxatr Member

Aiptasia X is not a long term solution. I have a major infestation and added peppermint shrimp, nudibranch, and also a copperband butterfly. The aiptasia are finally disappearing. I think the key is the natural solution - the aiptasia will return and you need something that will keep them in check.

15. curiouser

curiouser Member

Which dip(s) kill aiptasia?

16. Berlibee

Berlibee ReefHacks Team R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

Check this - https://reefhacks.com/how-to-kill-aiptasia-anemones/
    I think the Berghia Nudibranch is the most effective option, I have the same problem now. But I just kill them every two weeks with Aiptasia X in the main display but I don't touch them in the refugium.

17. curiouser

curiouser Member

As far as I can tell from a quick web search there are no safe dips that kill aiptasia.

18. PristineWaters

PristineWaters Active Member

I wouldn’t boil. I think best option would be to acid wash the rock. Pretty easy but you have to remove all the rock and then re cure after wards. I’ve hear tile fish work. I had luck makin a kalk slurry and dropping it on them a couple a times a week. But I only had a few

19. Pellikan

Pellikan New Member

I use one shrimp in my 80g and he keeps the aiptasia in check. I know my overflow is rife with aiptasia that the shrimp can't get to but I don't consider that a bad thing. They're filter feeders so I figure it's another level of filtration for the tank. I just don't want them taking over the DT and one shrimp serves that need well. Once you've got it you'll always have it, there's always one hiding somewhere. I did have 3 shrimp at one time and I think there wasn't enough for them to eat and they started munching on softies. I gave them away and the aiptasia came back so I ended up buying another (but only one) shrimp. It's working well so far.

Tedzilla likes this.
  20. Tedzilla

Tedzilla Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Pellikan, you are absolutely right on all counts. I keep one per tank, so I don't have a bunch of hungry shrimp, that all look the same. They keep the aiptasia in check. If I can't see it, it's probably bothering nothing I care about. And they are such great filter feeders, that many people purposefully grow colonies of them in their sumps.

Draft saved Draft deleted