The Aiptasia hunt!

Luiza Saad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! My name is Luiza and I’m a postdoc researcher at MIT. I’m currently developing research on the nudibranch Berghia stephanieae. I’m trying to understand their regeneration capacities, and how they accomplished regenerating their bodies and ceratas, which is really cool. I currently have a big aquarium with 9 reproductive adults. But I'm running into a big problem. Unfortunately, my Aiptasia colony is not keeping up with the Berghia hungry. They are eating them way too fast. So I know it’s very unusual, but I'm on a search for Aiptasia. Maybe you are trying to get rid of them or know better tips for raising Aiptasia I'm more than happy to have some or learn how to make them thrive. I really appreciate it!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
daffy-duck.gif

Welcome to the reef!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! My name is Luiza and I’m a postdoc researcher at MIT. I’m currently developing research on the nudibranch Berghia stephanieae. I’m trying to understand their regeneration capacities, and how they accomplished regenerating their bodies and ceratas, which is really cool. I currently have a big aquarium with 9 reproductive adults. But I'm running into a big problem. Unfortunately, my Aiptasia colony is not keeping up with the Berghia hungry. They are eating them way too fast. So I know it’s very unusual, but I'm on a search for Aiptasia. Maybe you are trying to get rid of them or know better tips for raising Aiptasia I'm more than happy to have some or learn how to make them thrive. I really appreciate it!
I would start with a local reef store. They maybe able to hook you up with someone that has an aiptasia problem

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. As you are learning you need a lot of Aiptasia to maintain a colony of Berghia. Depending on your project budget, you can purchase Aiptasia from VWR or Carolina Biological-if you are a postdoc at MIT I would assume you have grant support. The aiptasia will grow faster near 80 degrees and with heavy feeding. You can reduce the Berghia temperature to around 67 degrees (maybe lower but that is as low as I have tried) and significantly reduce their metabolism/growth/feeding requirement until you are able to achieve an Aiptasia surplus.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome. I'm sure there are a lot of locals that would love to off load their aiptasia to you. when you see them in your tank, keep poking them daily. this will help spread them. Other option is check out the local LFS in your area and look in the tanks. if you see any rock that has quite a few, tell them you'll buy the rock at a discount since its covered in aiptasia. (just don't let them know you really want the critters). it will also benefit having cycling rock.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Luiza and Welcome to R2R! I had lived in MA but now in SC. I have one of my 3 tanks which has aiptasia. I bought a file fish and it was doing a great job but lately I've noticed that he prefers food over eating the aiptasia as it is showing up in the tank again. I can't get the aiptasia of the rocks without making matters worse. Sorry that I can't help but hopefully someone else can.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if a LFS would let you volunteer to hand remove any for free? worth a shot? they would really be in the corals from other frag tanks. or you could try your luck with some live ocean rock. just tell them you are looking for heavily covered aiptasia rocks. I have 2 nice big ones that are not spreading on me but not sure how to remove without damaging them.

IMG_0825.jpeg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving Pictures Hello GIF

Welcome to the reef!

welcome!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back