Planaria advice

pw9988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing a water change, we noticed a pod sized worm-like creature wriggling on the glass. Under the microscope, we've positively identified it as a planarian flatworm. The tank is relatively new, but is pretty well stocked with fish and corals. I have a cleaner shrimp, a few snails, and a fighting conch--are any of these guys vulnerable? I also purchased a planaria trap on Amazon. Seeking advice on the best course of action to take.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7646.PNG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is one, there are more of them. Try the trap first. Some like it and some fish will feed on them. But if you decide to use a deworming med, be forewarned that you need to remove as many as possible as they can release a toxin when dying. Yikes!

OP
OP
P

pw9988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is one, there are more of them. Try the trap first. Some like it and some fish will feed on them. But if you decide to use a deworming med, be forewarned that you need to remove as many as possible as they can release a toxin when dying. Yikes!
Yes, sounds horrible. They regenerate if you cut them, and they release toxins if you use the meds. I suppose there's really no way around it short of quarantining everything and then nuking the tank.

I did end up purchasing a Hoevan's Wrasse and I see it picking at the glass and rocks. Cant tell if it's eating pods or the planaria though.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back