Planet Aquarium 175 Leak

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So things are not going too great with my build. Not HAPPY with my Planet Aquarium tank right now (I was when I first got it). Not sure what I am going to do right now. I am sure many people are happy with there PA tanks. I probably have a fluke or not who knows. The main reason I went with this manufacture was because they used to be Oceanic (back in the day they were my dream tanks the Cadillac) . The customer service is not there that's for sure. I order it through my LFS. Its a 175 gallon 60x24x29. I set it up in early August of last year. Last Wednesday I got the dreaded call from my wife "You need to come home now, the tank is leaking)!!! I was thinking she was exaggerating. Hoping that maybe a bulkhead fitting was leaking or a powerhead was spilling out somehow. It wasn't that unfortunately. I looked under the tank and there was water leaking out from under the cutout where the fittings come out for the overflow box. I checked all the seams top and bottom. Around the trim. I couldn't find any cracks, nothing. I couldn't do anything to stop it. I have learned you can take everything out of an aquarium a lot faster than setting it up. I got home at 2:30 p.m. and had everything out by 12:30 a.m. Luckily for me my sump is about a 100 gallons in my basement(all my live rock is in there). On top of it I have another sump for my filtration. Right now my fish and coral are in there. My live sand is in a Rubbermaid trash can. I am waiting for my corals to die. I need to somehow fit a light but the spaces is really tight because its all under my basement stairs.
I called my LFS that night. He had me write an email so he could send it too Planet. I ended up getting a hold of someone on Tuesday from planet. They told me to talked to my LFS. Unfortunately my LFS is closed on Tuesday. I talked to them today and as of now my LFS says I can send it possibly to them for repair. If its my fault then I cover the repair. If its theirs they will fix it. I live in MA they are in Texas. $$$$. I really want a new tank that doesn't leak, not a repair. I was told that it must have possibly had something settle in my floor or stand. Its a possibility but I'm like 99% sure that's not the case. The stand was built buy a professional cabinet maker and everything is square and level when installed. I checked again that day and still is. The tank is on the floor above my basement located on two main support beams and I put in two lally columns for extra support directly underneath it. I used to have a 120 all glass aquarium with a crappy stand there for 10 years with no leak. Talk about a nightmare. I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this for years too come. So hopefully this company will change my opinion of them and can change my outlook. It would be nice to talk to someone directly. All the time and energy feels wasted. I haven't received anything positive from them yet. I originally read the google reviews and wished I followed my gut. I feel if you are spending a lot of money customer service is soo important!! I am really not wanting to take legal action but we will see. I may not respond to this post too much but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears!! Thanks for letting me vent.

close level.jpg drip.jpg far level.jpg overview.jpg stand 1.jpg stand.jpg sump.jpg

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring as wide as it it I would assume it has a 3/4” glass bottom? Any more pics of the stand from underneath with the front doors open? Curious how this is supported? I see one corner floating and the tank sitting on a 2x4? Is this correct.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're wanting help from any of us... we need pics and a longer description of what you said in this quote:

I looked under the tank and there was water leaking out from under the cutout where the fittings come out for the overflow box.

OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring as wide as it it I would assume it has a 3/4” glass bottom? Any more pics of the stand from underneath with the front doors open? Curious how this is supported? I see one corner floating and the tank sitting on a 2x4? Is this correct.
The 2x4's are there after I had emptied it looking for the leak. Its leaking under the trim piece somewhere.

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh.. ok. Thanks. Hopefully some more experienced reefers will have some insight. Following.

OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're wanting help from any of us... we need pics and a longer description of what you said in this quote:

The leak is most likely coming from the bottom glass and the side glass somehow. I am assuming it let go. I did see an air bubble in the silicone but from what I've read this can be normal. I did send them an email with a picture of the bottom trim missing silicone but was told it was cosmetic. This is something I don't want to repaired just replaced. 175 gallons of water is a mess waiting.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2x4's are there after I had emptied it looking for the leak. Its leaking under the trim piece somewhere.
It looks well-supported and level from what I can see. I haven't had great experiences with rimmed tanks, either. Only 75 gallons, but when the seam went the whole thing drained in mere minutes... Rimless for the win!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak is most likely coming from the bottom glass and the side glass somehow. I am assuming it let go. I did see an air bubble in the silicone but from what I've read this can be normal. I did send them an email with a picture of the bottom trim missing silicone but was told it was cosmetic. This is something I don't want to repaired just replaced. 175 gallons of water is a mess waiting.
Define "leak" in terms of amt of water... per hour, per day ?????

I have or should say "had" a leak on my bottom glass seal on my 6ft 180 two years ago. It was leaking about 1 gal per day.

I repositioned a few heavy LR to add weight in that area.... the heavy LR slowed the leak down to a 1/4 gal of water a day.

I then blew air from a fan in that area for 2-3 weeks and the dried salt creep that formed stopped the leak completely. (Dried salt creep can be like concrete)

About a month later injected some clear silicone in that area

Bone dry for a year now .... BUT!!! I don't dare get anywhere near that area with a rag for cleaning.

DOUBT VERY SERIOUSLY you'll get a new tank. LFS will probably send a Tech out once your tank is empty to inject silicone in and around that seal.

Just setting your expectations so you don't fry an egg on top of your head for being hot-headed

Remedy #1 is probably this injection of silicone...

Second remedy would be a complete reseal of that edge.

Third remedy a new tank but only after weeks of remedy one & two.

Hang in there...

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks well-supported and level from what I can see. I haven't had great experiences with rimmed tanks, either. Only 75 gallons, but when the seam went the whole thing drained in mere minutes... Rimless for the win!

Define "leak" in terms of amt of water... per hour, per day

I have or should say "had" a leak on my bottom glass seal on my 6ft 180 two years ago. It was leaking about 1 gal per day.

I repositioned a few heavy LR to add weight in that area.... the heavy LR slowed the leak down to a 1/4 gal of water a day.

I then blew air from a fan in that area and the dried salt creep stopped the leak completely.

Bone dry for a year now .... BUT!!! I don't dare get anywhere near that area with a rag for cleaning.

DOUBT VERY SERIOUSLY you'll get a new tank. LFS will probably send a Tech out once your tank is empty to inject silicone in and around that seal.

Just setting your expectations so you don't fry an egg on top of your head for being hot-headed that probably that'll be their first remedy.

Hang in there...

Thank you! I'm staying calm relatively lol. I guess I'm lucky because it wasn't a blowout. I think I roughly lost about 10 gallons. Majority of it went into my basement. So that's good.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm staying calm relatively lol. I guess I'm lucky because it wasn't a blowout. I think I roughly lost about 10 gallons. Majority of it went into my basement. So that's good.
Again... it could be an easy fix for the LFS tech to come out an inject industrial silicone in the suspect area using a silicone syringe via a syringe needle.

If successful, probably a stronger seal than all the other seals

Good analogy is you're not getting a new shirt if a button falls off. A seamstress sews the button back on with stronger thread and everyone moves forward

OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define "leak" in terms of amt of water... per hour, per day ?????

I then blew air from a fan in that area for 2-3 weeks and the dried salt creep that formed stopped the leak completely. (Dried salt reef can be like concrete)

Just setting your expectations so you don't fry an egg on top of your head for being hot-headed that probably that'll be their first remedy.

Second remedy would be a complete reseal of that edge.

Third remedy a new tank but only after months of remedy one & two.

Hang in there...

I lost roughly about 10 gallons. I am staying calm lol. I'm lucky it wasn't a full blow out. Most of the water went in my basement. I'm really not wanting to reseal it. I'm hoping they can somehow remedy this but not to confident. It can always be worse. I'm glad at least I was able to take care of it and we weren't on vacation.

OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again... it could be an easy fix for the LFS tech to come out an inject industrial silicone in the suspect area using a silicone syringe via a syringe needle.

If successful, probably a stronger seal than all the other seals
Thank u!

OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about leak sensors now? I'm seriously thinking I need to add that module to my Apex setup.
The funny and not funny is I bought a ghl controller with leak sensor and a home system call aqara smart home with leak sensor( for backup), both sitting in the box since last year. I been working and haven't had a chance. I am so happy I haven't bought new corals recently. I got home and was really looking at everything, no way did anything settle. Fun fun . So thinking they will be setup once the tank gets back up and running

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny and not funny is I bought a ghl controller with leak sensor and a home system call aqara smart home with leak sensor( for backup), both sitting in the box since last year. I been working and haven't had a chance. I am so happy I haven't bought new corals recently. I got home and was really looking at everything, no way did anything settle. Fun fun . So thinking they will be setup once the tank gets back up and running
I've been too busy to get a leak sensor setup as well, but I have a line on a used Neptune FMM module that I think I'm going to pickup tomorrow and get the leak sensor ordered for it.

On the plus side, since you have the tank out anyway, if you wanted to do any re-wiring or change the arrangement in the tank...

OP
OP
P

Pierre96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about leak sensors now? I'm seriously thinking I need to add that module to my Apex setup.

I've been too busy to get a leak sensor setup as well, but I have a line on a used Neptune FMM module that I think I'm going to pickup tomorrow and get the leak sensor ordered for it.

On the plus side, since you have the tank out anyway, if you wanted to do any re-wiring or change the arrangement in the tank...
I would lol. If mine was set up maybe I'd have found it before the wife :)

Back