Planet Aquarium large tank shipping question

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I was told by my LFS that my Planet Aquarium 310g will be getting shipped next week. I paid an extra hundred bucks for them to deliver it to my house. It was $250 for it shipped to my LFS and an extra $100 for it to come straight to my house. Have any of you ordered and had shipped a large planet aquarium tank? Does it come on a semi or a large box truck? Is it crated or on pallets? Someone told me they ship just the tank, no pallets or crate, and it gets drop shipped right there on the street. If that’s the case, I’m starting to reconsider having it shipped to my house and just having them send it to the LFS and I just rent a uhaul to go pick it up and drive it back(was trying to avoid doing that to minimize the risk of me damaging it transporting it). Because depending on the time it’s shipped, if they just drop it on the street, it’s only going to be just me at home and I’ll have no way of getting it up my driveway myself, unless they will be willing and/or able to back the truck into my driveway up towards my garage door to drop the tank off. That would be the easiest and best scenario for me if they could do that. Just curious what any of your all’s experiences have been.
Attaching a pic of my driveway setup to get an idea of what I’m working with.

64D81A07-0A05-4F85-A436-EDBE4313A7F9.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't know how it will come to your house. When I ordered as an LFS employee they came to the LFS individually palletized. I assume this is how it will come to you.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't know how it will come to your house. When I ordered as an LFS employee they came to the LFS individually palletized. I assume this is how it will come to you.
Any idea if you remember what kind of truck it was delivered in? I’m hoping I can get them to back up to my garage to unload it to have to keep from worrying about getting it up the slope of my driveway even though it’s supposedly a “drop ship”

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come in an 18 wheeler. As someone who ships LTL freight alot the $100 is likely a fee to have the shipment transferred to a smaller truck that is allowed in residential neighborhoods plus a lift gate fee associated with a truck with a hydrolic lift so you won't need a forklift. This usually costs me $75 to $100 when I ship. They will likely call before delivery and require a signature so they won't leave the tank unless someone is there. I would highly suggest getting some furniture dollys. They make moving large tanks around a home much easier.

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe have a couple bucks cash and ask the guy unloading the tank if he wouldn’t mind placing it inside your garage?

This has worked both times for me, handed the delivery guy some cash and he was happy to drop the pallets off in my garage instead of "curb side" as it's advertised.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
invaluable tool to move tanks and place them on stands.
I have moved all my tanks either placing them on stands, removing from stands and removed/place on my pick up truck
I just moved my 180 oceanic bowfront by myself from one room to another.

maybe this can help you. If you can get the guy to help you place it on the cart. life is easier after that

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved all my tanks either placing them on stands, removing from stands and removed/place on my pick up truck

maybe this can help you. If you can get the guy to help you place it on the cart. life is easier after that

I love these, if you can find them, but they are almost never in stock despite what their website says

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the lift tables to just hard to justify when it isn't your profession. You usually need to for big tanks.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if you remember what kind of truck it was delivered in? Like a box truck, or semi tractor-trailer? I’m hoping I can get them to just back up to my garage instead of parking on the street to unload it to have to keep from worrying about getting it up the slope of my driveway when they deliver it. Seeing as how it will most likely be just be me by myself at the house when it arrives.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like that idea, my concern is the stress it would put on the tank. Being an 8 foot long and 30” wide front to back tank, obviously it would be centered on that, but I feel that would put a lot of stress on each end of the tank that isn’t sitting and making contact on that cart

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if you remember what kind of truck it was delivered in? Like a box truck, or semi tractor-trailer? I’m hoping I can get them to just back up to my garage instead of parking on the street to unload it to have to keep from worrying about getting it up the slope of my driveway when they deliver it. Seeing as how it will most likely be just be me by myself at the house when it arrives.

How a tank was delivered to someone really has little bearing on how your tank might be delivered to you. Call your LFS and find out?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea, my concern is the stress it would put on the tank. Being an 8 foot long and 30” wide front to back tank, obviously it would be centered on that, but I feel that would put a lot of stress on each end of the tank that isn’t sitting and making contact on that cart
my 560 gallon tank is 12' long
I built a frame out of 2x6 that would fit on top of the cart. We were able to slide the aquarium on the frame and off the frame onto the stand.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 230g planet aquarium came on a pallet and a box truck with a lift gate but i had a skid steer to unload it. If they don't bring a forklift or something you'll have a heck of a time getting it off
20210617_152802.jpg

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was lucky as my HF had them in stock. They used to be 299 and with the 20% off coupon, it was down to $240. Its very well built. Leaks hydraulic fluid though
Same experience I had with the few I’ve burned through. A little leaky so just put an old towel or blanket under them.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my stand in first.
The LFS took my 230 (468lbs) right out of the box which was on a pallet, and put it in the back of a rented cube van.
I paid 4 guys $50 bucks, one on each corner and they put it on the stand
done.
About an hour.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back