Planet Crystaline/trimless glass tank question

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 days ago I came across a deal I could not pass up on a Planet Crystaline 48x24x21 with the matching Planet stand. Now that it's sitting in my living room, I have a couple questions I'm hoping other Planet owners can answer.

First, this is a completely trimless tank, but the original owner did not have a foam leveling mat between the tank and stand; is this needed??

Second, and possibly related to the first question, I was surprised to find that the vertical glass panels (12mm) sit on top of, rather than wrapping around, the bottom panel (15mm). I thought the added surface area of the thicker bottom panel would create a better bond than the other way around; maybe 3mm isn't significant?
I've seen other large (50 gallons plus) trimless tanks where the bottom panel sat inside the vertical glass "box", so I'm interested in knowing which way is best...? I'm planning to have a tank built soon and just assumed there was one right way to construct a trimless aquarium.

Thanks in advance :)

(And to avoid having posts about where to buy my new tank, etc, I am already aware that glass cages is amazing, and will be talking more to Joe once I decide to move forward... Right now, I'm just hoping to find answers to the questions above ;) )

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to the foam or self-levelling pad, I have one on my rimless tank and wouldn't get another tank without one (or for the sump).
How is your tank constructed? Is it a full glass bottom or do the vertical panels create the outside edge?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people use the foam insulation sheets you can buy at Home Depot on larger tanks

I know what to use, I was just surprised that Planet had not supplied the original owner with anything. I definitely plan to use an aquarium mat when I set it up.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of U.S. manufacturers place the front and side panels on the bottom glass plate. It is an easy way to build and requires less of a precision cut of the glass panels. The thicker bottom should distribute the stress better and help the rigidity of the entire tank. A foam pad is recommended to prevent stress due to slight wracking of the stand. Planet has a good reputation as a tank builder. You should be fine. Make sure the stand is on a solid and level foundation for best results. Enjoy!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of U.S. manufacturers place the front and side panels on the bottom glass plate. It is an easy way to build and requires less of a precision cut of the glass panels. The thicker bottom should distribute the stress better and help the rigidity of the entire tank. A foam pad is recommended to prevent stress due to slight wracking of the stand. Planet has a good reputation as a tank builder. You should be fine. Make sure the stand is on a solid and level foundation for best results. Enjoy!
Thanks. I'm well aware of the reasons for placing foam under a trimless tank, and am not questioning the quality of Planet tanks. I disagree that "The majority of U.S. manufacturers place the front and side panels on the bottom glass plate" as I have looked at other US manufacturer's trimless products and did not find that to be the case.
I was hoping to hear from other trimless tank owners to determine how theirs are constructed.
(*I am not talking about aquariums in general, most of which have a plastic trim on the bottom and top...)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back