Planning a tank with basement sump

ReefNoob11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. First post here, I'm in the early planning phase of a tank and my ideal plan involves having the display tank on my first floor with the sump in the basement. The best place I have in the unfinished side to put the sump though has an obstruction for my plumbing I would need to go under. I'd love some opinion on if this looks like an issue where I should put the sump somewhere else.

In the attached drawing, the plumbing comes to the basement through the floor. To get the sump where I want it, the lines have to go under a structural beam then over a door. This creates basically a ~6-8 inch trap. Does anyone see any issues with this where it just won't work? Or extra things I need to do to make it work? The main thought I have is making sure to include a union/access point for cleaning that part out if it builds up any debris. For reference, there would be about 5 ft of pipe up to the display from the bottom of that trap area. Thanks for any input!
Sump Plumbing.png

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a PVC or other non-metal pipe. Otherwise there’s no issue with using a basement sump. Maybe invest it a stronger pump but it probably wont be an issue. Just remember to calculate total system water volume including those pipes!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReefNoob11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a PVC or other non-metal pipe. Otherwise there’s no issue with using a basement sump. Maybe invest it a stronger pump but it probably wont be an issue. Just remember to calculate total system water volume including those pipes!
Thanks for the response! I'll make sure to calculate that extra volume and use pvc. On the drain though specifically, are there any big issues with a small positive grade for a short section?

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue. Make sure to get a high pressure pump. Any dc pump I’ve tried, even if it falls well within it’s top rated head height, won’t push as intended for long. At first it works great. After a few or several months it won’t. Ac pump doesn’t mean it’s high pressure rated. You need an Iwaki or the likes.
Post up some pics

Upvote 0

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive now done this on two tanks with sumps in the basement.
1. Make the return side closer to your door. That will reduce the horizontal run which will reduce your head loss. That will make it a little easier to pump the water back up. (ie opposite of how you have it drawn).
2. Consider running two return lines. That way you can opt for dual returns.
3. Make sure you size the diameter of the pipe right. I would not use anything less than 1”.
4. Try to use 2 45deg fittings to go around corners. 2 45s have less head loss than 1 90.
5. I have 3 lines for drains and 2 for returns.
6. Put the sump as high as tolerable in the basement.

My main concern with your drawing would be the first drain that is typically used like a siphon. I wonder how hard it will be to clear the air from the line with a slight rise back over the door.

Spend the time on this now. It’s harder to change once everything is in place.
good luck!

Upvote 0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a really good reason that the sump can't be directly below the tank aka on the other side of the door?

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I would be a little leery about having a trap going down to the sump. Even if you have a full Syphon there's chances that 1) air would get trapped and 2) debris would build up. Having some air in your type would give you a hard time to get that full siphon. And every time that you had to shut your pump off for whatever reason you'd have to deal with that.
What would happen if you went into the wall behind the tank? Would that put you passed that beam? Doing that would save your floors in case you had to patch them because a wall is much easier to patch.
I myself have a basement sump. Luckily, my tank is in the living room and directly behind the tank are my stairs that go into the basement. I just put my Sump Under the Stairs and built an enclosure around it keep the crap out. So my pipes are pretty much a straight shot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReefNoob11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a 50-75 gallon display. Haven't decided yet. Not included in the drawing, but the thing preventing putting the sump on the left of the door is the stairs into the basement. It's super cramped on that side. After considering all of these things, I'm starting to think it might be better to put the display in the basement. On the opposite side of the wall shown in the drawing for the sump is a finished half of the basement. I'm think that might be a nice balance of sump in an unfinished half while display is in the finished side. Then I can drill through the wall and not have 12 ft of head to deal with.

Upvote 0

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is far easier. I went with a basement sump because my first tank was dangerously dense with electrical and water filters under the tank. Everything I did was based on available space. I was also tired of lifting water.
Ironically, I also have a metal beam issue. Like stated above, I navigated through the wall over the beam with my current system.
Your solution sounds much easier and it’s the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes much better idea. Mine is in basement for same reason greg mentioned. I hate lugging water up stairs. Plus if you can set up your mixing station near the sump. Makes for super easy water changes. Half my basement is my fish room other half is laundry.
20220109_073031.jpg

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a 50-75 gallon display. Haven't decided yet. Not included in the drawing, but the thing preventing putting the sump on the left of the door is the stairs into the basement. It's super cramped on that side. After considering all of these things, I'm starting to think it might be better to put the display in the basement. On the opposite side of the wall shown in the drawing for the sump is a finished half of the basement. I'm think that might be a nice balance of sump in an unfinished half while display is in the finished side. Then I can drill through the wall and not have 12 ft of head to deal with.
This is exactly what I'm going to do when I get into my new house. No heat to deal with in summer, no high head pumps, ect...
Good luck on the build!

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back