Planning Alk dosage

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing my Alk daily for about a week now with the Hanna dKH checker.

• Alk drops 0.1 - 0.2/day
• That's ~ 0.7 - 1.4/week or an average drop of 1.05 dKH in a week
• Per the calculator it takes 9.3 ml of B-Ionic to raise alk by 1.05 dKh in a 20g system

I realize this isn't a significant demand on Alk, but considering this is an SPS frag tank I want to keep it as stable as possible. I guess my question is, should I spread out this dose throughout the week? For example, half on Monday and the other half on Thursday. Or would a single dose to raise dKH by 1.05 not be considered a big enough swing to cause any problems?

TIA

CA ~ 420
Mg ~ 1250

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise by dKH by 1 every day since that's how much my system depletes. I have a doser that's collecting dust as I've never set it up. so I just add 80 mL or so daily. I've forgotten to dose some days and have had to dose double. No effects whatsoever

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the believe that the more stable you keep any and all parameters, the better off your tank will be. I dose three times a day for alk and calc to maintain stability. I would suggest dosing at a minimum, 1 time a day.....for you with 20 gallons of water and a need of 0.1 to 0.2 dKH, that's about 4 - 8 milliliters.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing my Alk daily for about a week now with the Hanna dKH checker.

• Alk drops 0.1 - 0.2/day
• That's ~ 0.7 - 1.4/week or an average drop of 1.05 dKH in a week
• Per the calculator it takes 9.3 ml of B-Ionic to raise alk by 1.05 dKh in a 20g system

I realize this isn't a significant demand on Alk, but considering this is an SPS frag tank I want to keep it as stable as possible. I guess my question is, should I spread out this dose throughout the week? For example, half on Monday and the other half on Thursday. Or would a single dose to raise dKH by 1.05 not be considered a big enough swing to cause any problems?

TIA

CA ~ 420
Mg ~ 1250

I'd spread it over a few doses during the week. :)

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd spread it over a few doses during the week. :)

I am of the believe that the more stable you keep any and all parameters, the better off you're tank will be. I dose three times a day for alk and calc to maintain stability. I would suggest dosing at a minimum, 1 time a day.....for you with 20 gallons of water and a need of 0.1 to 0.2 dKH, that's about 4 - 8 milliliters.

Thanks.

4-8 ml? The link to the calculator I used is below... it says 0.8 ml dose will raise dKH .01 in 20 gallons.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

4-8 ml? The link to the calculator I used is below... it says 0.8 ml dose will raise dKH .01 in 20 gallons.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Did you put in that you have 20 gallons? I just went to that calculator and put in 20 gallons, and for the sake of example, "current Alk" of 7.8 and "desired alk" of 8.0, and then picked B-Ionic and got 7.7 mls (0.2 fl oz; 1.5 tsp)

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2016-12-22_11-39-17.png

Ahhh, I see the issue. We're using two different Product lines. Original CA buffer part 1 vs Bicarbonate System part 1. I have the Original CA buffer part 1 (alk) and part 2 (CA)

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're putting the "calc" part in the "alk" calculator. You need to pick "ESV-B-Ionic Bicarbonate Syst Pt 1."

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're putting the "calc" part in the "alk" calculator. You need to pick "ESV-B-Ionic Bicarbonate Syst Pt 1."

This is what I have. Calcium Buffer System Part 1 is Alk, part 2 is Ca. So I'm totally confused... is the "original" just an old formula and the product below is a new formula listed as "bicarbonate" on the calculator?

The recommended starting dose listed on the bottle is 1 ml per 4 gallons, so I'm thinking your right about the dosage. Just not clear as to the difference in the product selection on the calculator, as the bottle clearly states "Calcium Buffer System No. 1"... Super glad I posted this question as I would have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why my Alk was going up with my dosing. :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks!

upload_2016-12-22_12-34-47.png

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any two part system requires both an alkalinity part and a calcium part.....both need to be dosed.

Once you've adjust the levels of alk and calc (using the two part components) where you'd like them, you determine you're usage (typically daily) and then dose that amount. In theory you should be dosing equal amounts of both alk and calc. So if you're dosing 7 mls of alk, you should be dosing 7 mls of calc. Hope this helps.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. I'm not that familiar with B-Ionic and saw "Ca Buff Pt 1" and assumed it was the calcium part. I now see that although it's titled Ca, the Pt 1 makes it the alkalinity part....so confusing. Why don't they call it what it is. And the Ca Buff Pt 2 is the actual calcium part.

So you're right, using the "original" alkalinity part only requires 0.8 mls.

Thanks Randy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back