Planning for All For Reef

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have been using AFR for a while on my biocube and it’s been great. Dialed in my daily dosage and called it a day. I am moving to a larger system and do not want to be doing water changes on a consistent basis. So I plan to run a fuge, skimmer, possibly a carbon and GFO reactor, and definitely a dosing setup.

I am considering just using AFR. Of course I will probably have to triple my dose but that’s still only ~10ml a day. I plan to switch to powdered AFR.

Should I invest in a nice stirring dosing container or should I just continue to use a water bottle? lol

I feel like the powdered form could settle out easier and change the density of elements as time goes on. But I also do not want to spend a ton of money right away because I know I will not be adding any more coral to the new system than I already have anytime soon.

Thoughts?

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime all for reef doesn’t settle much, if it’s mixed in the proper ratio then it’s good. I have noticed after a fresh mix, you get a little bit of brownish stuff that accumulates at the bottom but no bad effects from it. My calcium chloride container (I add in tropic Marin k trace elements to it) for the big tank shows similar brownish stuff sometimes. So something is settling out, but it does still get dosed too the tank.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe invest in a magnetic stirrer. They are under $40 on Amazon. Once the powder is completely dissolved nothing should "fall out" of the solution, unless some chemical reaction is causing it. Mixing up a gallon of it in small batches should be a breeze.
Screenshot_2023-06-24-13-59-46-77_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime all for reef doesn’t settle much, if it’s mixed in the proper ratio then it’s good. I have noticed after a fresh mix, you get a little bit of brownish stuff that accumulates at the bottom but no bad effects from it. My calcium chloride container (I add in tropic Marin k trace elements to it) for the big tank shows similar brownish stuff sometimes. So something is settling out, but it does still get dosed too the tank.
so my water bottle and Kaomer X1 $50 dosing setup will work just fine still :)

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe invest in a magnetic stirrer. They are under $40 on Amazon. Once the powder is completely dissolved nothing should "fall out" of the solution, unless some chemical reaction is causing it. Mixing up a gallon of it in small batches should be a breeze.
awesome, I will likely invest in one at some point but for now I will just be transferring over my trusty water bottle but maybe moving towards a gallon jug if I really wanna be crazy ;)

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I use a Nalgene bottle (it’s 1000ml with graduations on it for east mixing) and an x1 myself
I will definitely be “burrowing” my girlfriends Naglene bottle. That’s such a good idea!!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back