Planning for my tank

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on picking up my main tank this next weekend. Its a 110 with 40g sump. I will be setting it up empty and before Christmas I'm picking up a 90g system that's been running 5ish?? years.

I want to add more live rock to the new tank before I bring the water and sand in. I want to try to keep the sand and everything from the running tank so I don't restart the cycle. I've been told not to agitate the sand too much or it will realease polutants and kill everything. Do I buy all new sand and just use some of the live sand from the running tank?

There's a lot of hair algae in the tank now, I was told I can scrub and just peel a lot of it off before putting it back in at my house.

I'm probably leaving a lot out but I want to try to get some more pointers. I will get pics up after new tank is home, probably early next week.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i like to start aquariums fresh in order to improve on what the old system didn't have when moving sand and other stuff over expect some die off especially if the sand bed has not been stored up a lot.. you also never know whats on live rock regardless of the system and how much you trust the vendor but it is up to you and adding live rock and snd will help cycle your tank faster.. if you buy live sand there is no need to use the sand from the other tank... and if you take the rocks out to scrub them expect a fair amount of die off as the bacteria on the rock will not live long outside on the tank or if scrubbed...from what I've heard lol

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already spending more than I planned buying empty tank and running system so I'm trying to keep spending in check. I'm not sure how much rock is in the 90 but there's some big pieces. Am I better off just buying some regular rock, is that what you're saying? Should I be worried about losing all The critters in The established tanks sand bed? Also I was recommended to buy some emerald crabs for the hair algae.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who recommended the Emerald crabs?? Noooo you do not have to get new Rock for the system you have options such as leaving the rock in fresh water scrubbing it to remove any algae and leaving it to dry or just using it as is and simply moving it over of course when the algae has been taken care of... and you do not have to have the recommended 1-2 pounds of rock per gallon theres plenty of tanks that use less rock and are extremely successful... and if the sand bed has been untouched and its a deep sand bed you could risk disturbing the aerobic bacteria that live deep in it or you could release trapped nutrients causing another problem, this is just a possibility not a fact that it will happen it is really up to you theres many variables to it... but if the budget demands to reuse sand id research how to do it rather safely

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say completely clean all of the rock. Use fresh water and even a power washer if you have one. Leave it out to dry and start over by cycling it. It's a lot of work but it's the only way you can be sure of starting up a clean tank without nasties in it. I struggled with this question over the past couple of months but all of my research says take the time and do it right or you'll be right back where you started and maybe sooner than later.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I'm buying the 90g system said emeralds would tear through all the hair algae. He said the algae was from usingbtap water instead of RO water and slacking on maintenance. Part of the reason he's getting rid of it. I was thinking of adding rock for looks and extra filtration. The sand is maybe 2ish inches. There is a diamond blenny(i think) and hermit crabs. There are some corals in the tank and on the rocks. The fish all look healthy.

I thought I could add some rocks, 50% water change with same fish in the tank. I have Ro/di filter. Will add chaeto to sump but want to keep the bio load in the tank low.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
URL]
1479821552611.jpg

Attachments

• 1479821535454.jpg
    1479821535454.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the first step in removing algae is taking away its source of nutrients, so lowering phosphates and nitrates, this will stop the growth of it and it will recede slowly then you can add a couple scarlet hermits or emerald crabs if you want.... A diamond goby would effectively keep the sand bed well stirred so stirring it would have little affect which would allow you to take sand from the tank.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies, I've been lurking a long time and trying to soak up info. There's just soo much contradicting information out there.
So I should be safe keeping the sand because of the goby, there's hermits and other "critters" in the sand. I should wait till I have it started back up at home with big water change and light manual rock clean for the hair algae. Once I'm back up and running with clean RO water added and new skimmer, larger volume. Then I can work on it I need new cleaners?

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies, I've been lurking a long time and trying to soak up info. There's just soo much contradicting information out there.
So I should be safe keeping the sand because of the goby, there's hermits and other "critters" in the sand. I should wait till I have it started back up at home with big water change and light manual rock clean for the hair algae. Once I'm back up and running with clean RO water added and new skimmer, larger volume. Then I can work on if I need new cleaners?

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone use a washer drain wall mount for getting water to basement and returns?
1479846190361.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the empty today. Little dirtier than expected and the sump is not separated. I'm a little concerned about the water damage to the lower stand. I thought I would just scrape off the old and sand out what's left. Should I be worried about this?
1480182711420.jpg
1480182715741.jpg
1480182719741.jpg
1480182724063.jpg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're worried about it you can always build your own stand for relatively cheap the king of DIY has a video on it on youtube

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use kessel controller? Is it worth the $100? I'll have 2 vessel 350 runs leds on tank.

Last edited:

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the old stand and regardless of whether or not you decide to sand and paint, spritz all the parts that have been exposed to water with vinegar. This should kill any mould that has taken hold. If there are obvious areas of rot, cut them out entirely. They are no longer providing any structural strength and they only provide a place for the mould to grow.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, I have been soaking the plumbing in vinegar and water, spraying the tank and sump to scrub out. I have started building a new stand, will only reuse the doors, after cleaning and sanding down.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand frame is built, I was able to reuse the doors and some trim. Just a little sanding and paint to finish it up, then I'll be ready to move it upstairs. Sump refugium Then plumbing next.
1480940745640.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 92 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 96 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.6%
Back