Planning on a new custom tank 145 Liters / 38 US Gallons. I would like a wrasse any good options and other suggestions?

Rollthedicereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will measure 90x40x40cm / 35x15x15in and will be an upgrade to my current Fluval Evo I've had for a couple of years, that's now pretty full of corals.

I currently have 2 clownfish, 1 yellow watchman goby & 1 Royal Gramma which I'll transfer to the new tank.

I'm going to get my dream fish which is a little Valentini puffer (I only really keep soft corals so it's ok if they get nibbled) but would love any other suggestions for fish would be appreciated, especially wrasses, I'm really curious to keep one but that group of fish are a little unknown for me.

Also if anyone in the UK knows of good places for soft corals, that'd be great it's a bit hard to find interesting ones. I know all the attention is on fancy SPS and glowing colours but I'm a bit old fashioned and like soft corals and white light.

Michael Pybus custom aquarium plan .jpg reef tank 2 year old birthday 3 rd oct 2022 michael pybus.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a blue streak cleaner wrasse (or any cleaner wrasse) if you're going to have a valentini puffer. There is a 99.9% chance it will kill it (been there, buried a fish).

@i cant think is one of the resident wrasse experts, so I'll let him offer some great suggestions! Myself I've had fairly good success with green, leopard and sixline wrasses (I have several others but they may be too large for your 38 gallon long-term).

OP
OP
Rollthedicereef

Rollthedicereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a blue streak cleaner wrasse (or any cleaner wrasse) if you're going to have a valentini puffer. There is a 99.9% chance it will kill it (been there, buried a fish).

@i cant think is one of the resident wrasse experts, so I'll let him offer some great suggestions! Myself I've had fairly good success with green, leopard and sixline wrasses (I have several others but they may be too large for your 38 gallon long-term).
Thanks, the Leopard wrasse was a fish I always liked the look of even before I started a reef tank, keep reading mixed reviews on how easy it is to keep/feed but that's kinda the direction I'm thinking.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the Leopard wrasse was a fish I always liked the look of even before I started a reef tank, keep reading mixed reviews on how easy it is to keep/feed but that's kinda the direction I'm thinking.
I had semi so-so success with a leopard wrasse in a 25-gallon tank, but since moving to a larger tank the blue star leopard (the one I really wanted anyway) has been absolutely fantastic. I'm watching him and the sixline endlessly circle around the tank hunting as I write this...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back