Planning stages of a decent propagation setup - would LOVE input

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goals:

I have been fragging my coral for the last year, I really enjoy doing it. I wouldn't mind dabbling in local online auctions, and selling frags to local reefers. I don't have any plans to become a fish store, or even raise fish to sell.

However I would like to start the foundation of a coral propagation setup, that I could build onto if things ever got serious.

I have been a contract web developer for a little over five years now. Things run semi steady now (steady enough to afford a reefing habit), but I really wouldn't mind if it became my side job down the road. Not to mention outside of out awesome local community, we have no reliable LFS within two hours of the area.

After things are up and running. I feel I could run an online store easier than most, without the help from others. That would be endgame I guess..I have no intention on being the next J.F. etc...I would love to kick it with them though!

I am already looking into:

• LLC / DBA
  • "General Aquaculture Business License - TX Dept of Agriculture"
  • "Exotic Species Possession and/or Transport Forms - TX Dept of Wildlife"

The last thing I would want is an angry Texas Game Warden knocking on my door, so if anyone has info on what I exactly need to do to be by the books would be SUPER! I cant find any specific forms / permits for coral propagation in Texas.

Build Ideas:

Will be stocking off my home display at first which has some nice specimens going strong. Keeping my zoa/paly collection alone trimmed would net some killer frags....and allow me more space to grow more zoas on my display rock!

Would love to stock most of the starter frags off swaps / trades from the surrounding reefers before finding an overseas / wholesale vendor. Wouldn't mind working out a deal with the local "LFS"...which is really just an aquarium service / maintenance company that is open to the public on weekends. They specialize in freshwater, but have a limited saltwater setup.

Not to mention I assume any wholesale supplier will require a brick and mortar store, and I have no intention on doing that.
black4x8id_botanicare_flood_table.jpg
I like these hydroponic trays, but they are really shallow with a large footprint. This 104 gallon tray is 48"x 96" x 6" inner height
fiberglass-troughs.jpg
180 Gal Pentair trough is: 96" x 36" x 12" which im kinda digging...

pACE3-7079907dt.jpg

Or a Rubbermaid container that I also kind of fancy. The the footprint / price would allow me to go bigger on lighting. 300 gallons for $229.00 however it is much deeper 25"

Lighting:

T5s and some Kessils, those new fixtures are HOT!

Everything else:

deep down I would like to keep plumbing simple 2 drains (one emergency) and maybe a double return. I really like the "Triton" idea for sump / fuge and balance. Always up for suggestions here!

Would love input on additional flow (Gyres etc...I love my Gyre, but not sure if one would do well in this kind of setup)

I tried to find some similar trough / table builds and it's actually kind of hard finding an active member willing to talk about theirs. I asked a well known online Facebook vendor showing off their new table setup for info, and I got snubbed haha.

Getting out of the computer chair, and into the fragging chair would be my 5 year plan I suppose. I don't want to be a coral superstar, but would LOVE to help supply my local scene with awesome frags.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I am just looking into other container options but the same style setup

Jerome Woodward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would by the hydroponic trays. I am planning on doing something similar. Super cheap and shallow. You can get a lot more coverage. I would use the rubbermaid container for a sump(You can get something similar from a farm supply store for a LOT less).

OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40bs or lowboy 50s are kind of what I envision to tie into this system as I grow. A quick and dirty 40b build for heavy nutrient corals like Gonis would be something I would love to do later on.

I don't want to tie EVERYTHING into it for redundancy sake etc, but seeing how the tanks tied into each other through a large vat on the tour video of Jason Fox's basement gave me some modular ideas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would by the hydroponic trays. I am planning on doing something similar. Super cheap and shallow. You can get a lot more coverage. I would use the rubbermaid container for a sump(You can get something similar from a farm supply store for a LOT less).

Yea I at least want one Rubbermaid as a natural liverock sump. I wish I could find a 12" deep Hydro tray, I may settle with the Pentair one for a little extra cost wise, but extra depth.

It also isn't black, which may not be ideal for algae but will not heat up as easily under the lights.

Jerome Woodward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a lot of the trays in white. Try calling a local hydroponic shop. Mine quoted me $88 for a 6'x3' and $54 for a 4'x2'.

OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly closest hydro shop is 4-5 hours in any direction of me...small town big state blues. (El Paso / Dallas / Austin / San Antonio) ...which kinda sucks b/c I also try to grow hydroponic peppers yearly and have to rely on internet orders to get anything. We have tons of nurseries but none that are even hip to hydro.

OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your build, but I see you have some overflow issues, how are things coming with that?

This is what I fear most. I have been in the hobby a decent amount of time, but all my tanks have been internal overflows. I have a deep seeded fear of external overflows for no reason.

I really like the lowboy setups,but kind of want something slightly longer that a 50low to grow into...Slightly deeper as well.

My current dilemma is getting back into the hobby with a small setup that I am now almost out of room outside of display corals.

I am working on calling some hydro manufactures on options. Along with trying to find a local "acrylic person" to talk options there.

Last edited:

coil1002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put glass over the overflow slots and the water level is perfect. Now for the leaking bulkhead part. The instructions are crap with this overflow and they tell you to use both bulkhead seals between the glass and the external overflow. Me being a super genius thought "no way thats correct" looked up a video on you tube by eshopps showing a completely different way to use the seals aaannnnddd it leaked like a sieve. After about 5 trys and 5 different ways of putting the seals on I did what the instructions said in the first place and its dry as a bone. Lesson to be learned here? "RTFM"

The overflow would have been problem free had i of
1. dry fit the internal box and verified my hole placement. You don't get a second chance
2. Read the Friggen manual and followed the instructions.

Drilling the glass was by far the easiest part. It's almost full of ro/di water now so I will be mixing salt tonight. As for adding I have a spot open right next to this one for the second tank when the time comes. I really like this tank it fits what I am doing well and at the price i don't mind having multiples.

_pabloperetti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Low Boy is nice because it easily accommodates a standard 4ft light fixture. A foot or two long just means more low-light margins at the ends. Slap a cheap T5 fixture from Amazon over it and you're running right away.

OP
OP
Fyveonit

Fyveonit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear what you find out with TPWD. I have toyed with the idea in the future as well and never end thought about the game wardens but should have.

Thank you for your questions about the Aquaculture program. First item to address is do you fit the definition of Aquaculture or fish farming. (See below). Will you be producing and selling your species you will be raising? If so then you will need an Aquaculture License. The first step is to contact (see contact information below) the:

• Texas Parks & Wildlife Department to verify that the species you are going to raise are acceptable and may need an exotic species permit.

• Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for a waste water permit or an exemption.

Once you have contacted them and decide you need an Aquaculture license, you may go to http://www.texasagriculture.gov/RegulatoryPrograms/Aquaculture.aspx to locate the forms, instructions and application for an Aquaculture License. You will have to fill out an Aquaculture application for each location. The fees are $120.00 for a 2 year license. Let me know if there is any further assistance or questions you may have.

Thanks.

Contact for:

Texas Parks and Wildlife:

Aquaculture --

Aquaculture -- Interagency Coordination

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Aquaculture General Permit

(4) "Aquaculture" or "fish farming" means the business of producing and selling cultured species raised in private facilities. Aquaculture or fish farming is an agricultural activity.

SUBCHAPTER B. AQUACULTURE LICENSE

Sec. 134.011. LICENSING. (a) A person may not operate an aquaculture facility without first having acquired from the department an aquaculture license.

(b) The department shall:

(1) maintain an application process for an aquaculture license;

(2) license aquaculture facilities; and

(3) regulate aquaculture operations.

(c) The department shall provide a copy of each aquaculture license application to the Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission.

(d) The department may not issue a license for a new aquaculture facility unless the facility has been authorized by the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission to dispose of wastewater or the facility will not dispose of wastewater into waters in the state.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., ch. 545, Sec. 1, ***. Sept. 1, 1975. Renumbered from Parks & Wildlife Code, Sec. 48.002 and amended by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 637, Sec. 3, ***. Sept. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 491, Sec. 11, ***. Sept. 1, 1991; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1239, Sec. 2, ***. Sept. 1, 1999.

Sec. 134.012. FISH FARM VEHICLE LICENSE REQUIRED. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), if a vehicle is used to transport cultured species from a private facility and the cultured species are sold from the vehicle, the vehicle is required to have a fish farm vehicle license.

(b) A fish farm vehicle license is not required for a vehicle owned and operated by the holder of an aquaculture license.

(c) A person who operates a vehicle that is owned by the holder of an aquaculture license must keep a copy of the license in the vehicle when transporting cultured species from a private facility.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., ch. 545, Sec. 1, ***. Sept. 1, 1975. Renumbered from Parks & Wildlife Code, Sec. 48.003 by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 637, Sec. 3, ***. Sept. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 491, Sec. 11, ***. Sept. 1, 1991; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1239, Sec. 2, ***. Sept. 1, 1999.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back