Planning to get back into the hobby after 20+ years away

IL Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I had a 55 gallon reef back in the 90's and am wanting to get back into the hobby. I'm waiting for a 180 gallon plus used tank to become available for a great price in my area.

Some of my favorite fish are:
Marine Betta
(2-3) Engineer Gobies
Melanurus Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Crosshatch Trigger

Since so many of my favorites interact with the sand bed, I have a number of questions:
1. How deep of a sand bed should I be looking at?
2. Is the live sand from TBS or KP too coarse
3. Since inverts are likely on the lunch menu with my favorite fish, what are the best ways to compensate?

As far as corals go, I had a huge leather toadstool in my old 55 gallon and I'd like to get another one. I'd also like to plant some plating monties around 7-8 inches above the sand bed to create some additional hiding places for the fish and to minimize the area shaded.

I have all my old rock (about 100 lbs) from TBS (dry after 20+ years) that I'll aquascape with directly on the bottom before adding the sand to keep the rock stable.

Spending my time learning and researching all the changes that have happened while I've been away.

Suggestions are welcome.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

About an inch deep sandbed is pretty common now. It's easy to keep clean.

I have not owned a lot of wrasse however so them sleeping in the sand may change how deep you want it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I had a 55 gallon reef back in the 90's and am wanting to get back into the hobby. I'm waiting for a 180 gallon plus used tank to become available for a great price in my area.

Some of my favorite fish are:
Marine Betta
(2-3) Engineer Gobies
Melanurus Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Crosshatch Trigger

Since so many of my favorites interact with the sand bed, I have a number of questions:
1. How deep of a sand bed should I be looking at?
2. Is the live sand from TBS or KP too coarse
3. Since inverts are likely on the lunch menu with my favorite fish, what are the best ways to compensate?

As far as corals go, I had a huge leather toadstool in my old 55 gallon and I'd like to get another one. I'd also like to plant some plating monties around 7-8 inches above the sand bed to create some additional hiding places for the fish and to minimize the area shaded.

I have all my old rock (about 100 lbs) from TBS (dry after 20+ years) that I'll aquascape with directly on the bottom before adding the sand to keep the rock stable.

Spending my time learning and researching all the changes that have happened while I've been away.

Suggestions are welcome.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Since you seek both suggestions and changes, to me lighting, foods and pods have been biggest change upon my return to the hobby couple years ago. Pods used to be hated, and now everyone loves them (species matter of course - I still have healthy fear of 'wild' pods)... but I've come over to the 'I LOVE PODS' side and despite wrasse my female mandarin is so fat her name is Orson Wells. Here is my experience with the easy, lazy, banana peel and spirulina method:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). No time is too early!

This might help you find people local to you in IL:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back