Plate coral "tree" rarity?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told that this is unusual, and I've never seen one for sale, but it's a plate coral (fungia) that grows more plate corals.
20201011_155540.jpg

Every few months I pop a few off (this pic I was overdue) and there are a few little ones growing underneath. They snake up the rock in a little, hard tube like a coco worm or other hard-tube feather duster. Each tube grows a polyp at the end. The colony probably produces 10-15 plate corals per year at 3-5" each when open. They grow up to 10" at least from experience. Since this pic, I popped 3 off and there are a total of 9 growing that I can see.

I once mentioned it to US coral farmer (not in FL) and they said "Oh you have a plate tree! I'm jealous." That's where I heard this term from.

The thing is, my buddy gave it to me when he tore his tank down. He bought it as a $10 frag at Petco. The polyps I sell are retailing at $80 each. You never know what you'll find at any random store I suppose!

How unusual are these? I'd love another. Preferably orange of course.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told that this is unusual, and I've never seen one for sale, but it's a plate coral (fungia) that grows more plate corals.
20201011_155540.jpg

Every few months I pop a few off (this pic I was overdue) and there are a few little ones growing underneath. They snake up the rock in a little, hard tube like a coco worm or other hard-tube feather duster. Each tube grows a polyp at the end. The colony probably produces 10-15 plate corals per year at 3-5" each when open. They grow up to 10" at least from experience. Since this pic, I popped 3 off and there are a total of 9 growing that I can see.

I once mentioned it to US coral farmer (not in FL) and they said "Oh you have a plate tree! I'm jealous." That's where I heard this term from.

The thing is, my buddy gave it to me when he tore his tank down. He bought it as a $10 frag at Petco. The polyps I sell are retailing at $80 each. You never know what you'll find at any random store I suppose!

How unusual are these? I'd love another. Preferably orange of course.
That’s crazy. Definitely would buy one that’s super cool

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back