Plate coral "tree" rarity?

BRS

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm told that this is unusual, and I've never seen one for sale, but it's a plate coral (fungia) that grows more plate corals.
20201011_155540.jpg

Every few months I pop a few off (this pic I was overdue) and there are a few little ones growing underneath. They snake up the rock in a little, hard tube like a coco worm or other hard-tube feather duster. Each tube grows a polyp at the end. The colony probably produces 10-15 plate corals per year at 3-5" each when open. They grow up to 10" at least from experience. Since this pic, I popped 3 off and there are a total of 9 growing that I can see.

I once mentioned it to US coral farmer (not in FL) and they said "Oh you have a plate tree! I'm jealous." That's where I heard this term from.

The thing is, my buddy gave it to me when he tore his tank down. He bought it as a $10 frag at Petco. The polyps I sell are retailing at $80 each. You never know what you'll find at any random store I suppose!

How unusual are these? I'd love another. Preferably orange of course.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

PBnJOnWheat

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm told that this is unusual, and I've never seen one for sale, but it's a plate coral (fungia) that grows more plate corals.
20201011_155540.jpg

Every few months I pop a few off (this pic I was overdue) and there are a few little ones growing underneath. They snake up the rock in a little, hard tube like a coco worm or other hard-tube feather duster. Each tube grows a polyp at the end. The colony probably produces 10-15 plate corals per year at 3-5" each when open. They grow up to 10" at least from experience. Since this pic, I popped 3 off and there are a total of 9 growing that I can see.

I once mentioned it to US coral farmer (not in FL) and they said "Oh you have a plate tree! I'm jealous." That's where I heard this term from.

The thing is, my buddy gave it to me when he tore his tank down. He bought it as a $10 frag at Petco. The polyps I sell are retailing at $80 each. You never know what you'll find at any random store I suppose!

How unusual are these? I'd love another. Preferably orange of course.
That’s crazy. Definitely would buy one that’s super cool

BRS

Do you think buying and selling coral is similar to playing the stock market?

• YES

Votes: 76 21.3%
  • NO

Votes: 187 52.4%
  • Kinda

Votes: 90 25.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors