Playing Matchmaker - Shrimp & Goby Pairing

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m trying to get my Randall’s pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby to pair up. I’ve had them both for about a week and a half, but so far I’m not sure they know each other even exist.

They were added at the same time, but the shrimp went to one side of my tank, and the YWG to the other. It’s only a 40 gallon display though.

My problem is the shrimp (still a juvenile, only about 1/2”) never comes out during the day, I know he’s alive because I can hear the occasional click, and I see sand moves around from day to day around his burrow. For this reason I think the goby and shrimp don’t know about each other.

Any advice on playing matchmaker? Or should I just be more patient?

e05862479c1680999d1ca8e7d3cd0941.jpg

sweendog87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch them both and keep them together in a small enclosure in the tank a see what happens

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bonded pair of hi fin gobys and a pistol shrimp from divers den. One month-ish later and I've only seen the larger of the two fish. Took it two weeks to come out of hiding. I have no clue what happened to the other fish or the shrimp. They all three went different directions when introduced to the tank.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the fish comes out from the pic, I'd turn off all flow and drop some frozen mysis or something by the shrimps burrow. Hopefully he will come out for the food, or the goby will go over there for it and they will bump into each other.
Just give it time, and some food encouragement, they will find each other.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how it turns out. I currently have a Wheeler's goby in QT waiting to be introduced to my lonely Candy Stripe pistol shrimp. What I've done in the past with good success is put the goby in a small cup I can hold covered in one hand. Then lower it down right to the shrimp's den opening and release it straight in. Usually they want to find a burrow immediately so they just go for it.

OP
OP
._Z_.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the comments, I decided to be patient; lo and behold they found each other after a little over a month. Now the shrimp feels safe enough to come out during the day and I get to enjoy watching the two. Had this been a bigger tank I’m not sure this would have worked without intervention. Hope this helps anyone else.
bc1f9c90a0d44b8c6558cf063eafd5a9.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they work out for you. Mine were not so lucky. I had a tiny watchman goby. He seemed lonely so hubby bought a Randall like yours. After a year we had a power outage while at work and the goby died. Since then that da%$ shrimp has had several other goby's, who all disappeared mysteriously. Then about a year and a half ago my fire fish went missing. Three days ago I put in a purple fire fish that had been quarantined for several months. Last night I noticed it hanging around the burrow of Dozer the Randall. Yep, gone this morning. I have had that shrimp for 7 plus years. I hope it is old and will die soon. Harsh I know. :oops:

OP
OP
._Z_.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they work out for you. Mine were not so lucky. I had a tiny watchman goby. He seemed lonely so hubby bought a Randall like yours. After a year we had a power outage while at work and the goby died. Since then that da%$ shrimp has had several other goby's, who all disappeared mysteriously. Then about a year and a half ago my fire fish went missing. Three days ago I put in a purple fire fish that had been quarantined for several months. Last night I noticed it hanging around the burrow of Dozer the Randall. Yep, gone this morning. I have had that shrimp for 7 plus years. I hope it is old and will die soon. Harsh I know. :oops:

Wow! That is an unfortunate series of events! If that happened to me I guess I’d try trapping the shrimp and giving it away

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is I do not know of anyone who would want him. And I could not take him to Petco. Some unsuspecting innocent would end up suffering then. And at this point I keep thinking just how long can it live? Dozer is in my 65 gallon RedSea. I would put him in my 140 if I was convinced he would not eat my blue spotted jawfish. Not big on giving away my problem. I even spot feed the little monster. I named him Bulldozer because he rearranges things at night. Steals new frags also. Coworkers find my continuing saga with him funny as heck. I guess no more fire fish for now.

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, he must not like mandarins. They have been in there almost as long as him!

OP
OP
._Z_.

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is I do not know of anyone who would want him. And I could not take him to Petco. Some unsuspecting innocent would end up suffering then. And at this point I keep thinking just how long can it live? Dozer is in my 65 gallon RedSea. I would put him in my 140 if I was convinced he would not eat my blue spotted jawfish. Not big on giving away my problem. I even spot feed the little monster. I named him Bulldozer because he rearranges things at night. Steals new frags also. Coworkers find my continuing saga with him funny as heck. I guess no more fire fish for now.

Shelley

It is an entertaining saga for sure. I wonder if he was moved to a new environment if he’d be more willing to accept or look for a goby friend. He’s probably pretty happy with his home now and doesn’t want to let any new fish in.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had decided to move him to a sump in another tank. Went home and said as much to my hubby. He pointed over at my tank and said "that the firefish"? I guess my Dozer did not eat him! Not quite a match made in heaven, but they are cohabiting. . I will make sure to feed the shrimp extra now. Maybe that darn fish was lost under that rock work and just finally found its way out. Still want to know how long they live.

Shelley

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back