OP
OP
BeachBum2012

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! only suggestion I have is to make the returns as even in terms of distance from the pump as you can. If you have differing lengths you will get differing flows from the returns in the tank. Not crucial, but wanted to get that in front of you. I have dual returns just like that and I ran the return plumbing up and out of the sump, centered the T to connect the return lines in the tank to the pump, and connected the pump that centered T to mitigate that issue. Below is a picture of what I mean:

IMG_6151.JPG
Valid point that I hadn't thought of. Should be able to make that change pretty easily.

OP
OP
BeachBum2012

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! only suggestion I have is to make the returns as even in terms of distance from the pump as you can. If you have differing lengths you will get differing flows from the returns in the tank. Not crucial, but wanted to get that in front of you. I have dual returns just like that and I ran the return plumbing up and out of the sump, centered the T to connect the return lines in the tank to the pump, and connected the pump that centered T to mitigate that issue. Below is a picture of what I mean:

IMG_6151.JPG
I see you have the Trigger Systems sump too. How are you liking it?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have the Trigger Systems sump too. How are you liking it?

It works well, I have to figure out a way to silence the drains since I don't run filter socks and that is currently the noisiest part. I may run mesh socks that have wider openings to allow particulates to pass through but slow the water down a bit and kill the noise. I've also noticed that due to its design, the refugium surface water doesn't get agitated as much since the drain water passes through the fish logo into the refugium versus over and under a series of baffles. Their newer triton method sumps, even if you don't run triton, look to be a superior design and had I known they were so close to coming out I would have gone with one of those instead.

OP
OP
BeachBum2012

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works well, I have to figure out a way to silence the drains since I don't run filter socks and that is currently the noisiest part. I may run mesh socks that have wider openings to allow particulates to pass through but slow the water down a bit and kill the noise. I've also noticed that due to its design, the refugium surface water doesn't get agitated as much since the drain water passes through the fish logo into the refugium versus over and under a series of baffles. Their newer triton method sumps, even if you don't run triton, look to be a superior design and had I known they were so close to coming out I would have gone with one of those instead.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Got a killer deal on a brand new Amethyst 34 at the Marine Depot scratch and dent sale. It's way overkill for a 40b, but it's something that I won't have to upgrade when I get a bigger tank.

Modified the return plumbing to allow equal distance on both sides now. Will probably tweak things a few more times before I build. I'm just hoping u have time to move on the stand tomorrow.
145a10df5deaad267215e08d23a94636.jpg

I read through your 100g build. Looks good. I'll follow along.

OP
OP
BeachBum2012

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've got a question about return plumbing. I've got a Vectra M1 that I'm going to use as my return, as well as to feed a manifold. Is it better to build everything out of 3/4" as that is the output of the pump, or bump it up to 1"? Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back