please critique my blueprint (setup) - i'm a novice

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***apologies in advance - the information may be totally off***
i have tried to skim various forums and information online, but just wasn't able to find an appropriate forum which have lots of active members with good knowledge, until i came across reef2reef

hello all,

i've been in and out of the hobby for a few years. recently feeling quite inspired and motivated to get my own setup. i have had a small freshwater setup (125l / 33g) in the past with an external canister filter.

i'm now wanting to go slightly more advanced and sort out plumbing and also a sump. i haven't yet decided whether to go back to freshwater (as it's easier?) or saltwater, but wanted to plumb the tank and set it up so i could have the option of doing both. (sorry i know this is a reefing forum).

if i can be forgiven for being honest about my intentions, i would like to into more detail about the setup i had in mind below: (metric and imperial as i live in Australia)
1) 2x 90x60x60cm - 3fx2fx2f tanks - 1 for display and 1 for sump for a total volume of 650l (171g)
2) i was thinking of going with 25mm (1") plumbing from a bean animal setup and an emergency drain (so, 2 drilled holes) with a ? weir
3) bulkhead will be 1" - and as per this website (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm) - flow rate should be approx 350 gph
4) return pump i have considered is the eheim universal with had plumbing (eheim universal 3400/1262) - which should be able to run about 3400l/h or 900g/h.
5) based on the TOTAL volume of the display tank and the sump (171g) i would be looking at approx 5x turnover per hour ? (171g / 900g/h).

from my research IF my calculations are correct, the flow may be a little low or just about adequate for a saltwater setup, but probably enough for a basic freshwater system?
-but would the flow rate be too wild for freshwater? i may not necessarily have livestock which absolutely loves high flow (catfish).

IF this is appropriate, i will start gathering materials etc and later post a diagram of my proposed plumbing setup.

many thanks for sharing your knowledge

sk

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a time when people advocated for 10x turnover for your return but that has changed over the years and many including myself run way less.. IMO 5x turnover should be fine for your system

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point... make sure you are accounting for head loss when calculating flow rates from your ehiem.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about DC return pumps? Since you are not sure if you want to go salt or fresh yet, and the flow needed for a catfish setup would be significantly lower than a saltwater tank, it maybe best to get a pump that will allow you to throttle down power if you need to. You can also do that by the use of a valve on the return line but you run the risk of obstruction more with that.

If you do decide to go saltwater or reeftank, that whole 10x turnover is not a set in stone requirement and many tanks do great with a lower turnover. I agree with Retro that 5x would be sufficient. You really can maximize flow that is adequate for your livestock with wavemakers and powerheads. The return pump is just one component of the flow in a marine tank.

This chart below will help you account for headloss.
5B69ED8D-3481-4957-8A00-4E6A62A6DA86.jpeg

Are you building the overflow box or will you be purchasing one?

And welcome to R2R!!!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
istockphoto-843510116-612x612.jpg

Welcome to R2R Sharmrock! I will agree that FW tanks are generally easier and less expensive than a reef unless you're going for a high tech planted system. I keep both FW (low tech) planted and reef tanks. I find that my reef is far more engaging, beautiful, and ultimately more gratifying. Personally, I think that 5X turnover should be fine for either application with proper use of power heads, but as @Samina said, the use of an adjustable DC return pump allows for more flexibility. I really like mine. Anyway, glad to have you with us and looking foreword to what you decide.

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all for your great replies.

@Retro Reef - valid points. i think you've answered my question in regards to enough flow. thanks.

@Samina - thanks again - i was thinking of the eheim compact+ which can be dialed back in regards to flow, so that could be an option. i hear such great things about eheim's reliability (and i used to own a canister filter 10 years ago). i was feeling quite adventerous and wanted to consider building an overflow box/weir :eek: - but i think i have some options to move forward now. will need to look at those options too

@Aquanut - thanks for the warm welcome! point taken - will look at alternates to the eheim universal... i did have a look at the eheim compact+ series. i'm not sure if that qualifies as a DC pump, but it is adjustable.

thank you all once again!

sk

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back