Please help! Acans are struggling!

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acan frag that I’ve had for a about a month that seems to be struggling a bit. Water parameters are solid and all other lps and softies are thriving. I’ve read that acans generally like lower flow and moderate to lower lighting. I have it in a little alcove in the sand bed. I’ve tried target feeding mysis, reef roids, and reef energy with little to no response. My water parameters are as follows:
PH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
Alkalinity: 10dKH
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: 420ppm

Any suggestions on what I can try are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

IMG_6745.jpeg

OP
OP
brandowelsh

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals do you have?? How are they doing
Pretty much every other coral in the tank is thriving. I have GSP, xenia, a few leathers, 1 mushroom, several zoas, 1 hammer, a few duncans, 1 gorgonian

Attachments

• IMG_6748.jpeg
    IMG_6748.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 38

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with keeping proper nutrient levels. I feed mine daily as well. I was struggling with these corals for a while and after getting my nutrient levels elevated noticed a rapid turnaround. LPS in my experience does better with dirtier water.

I shoot for 10-20 NO3 and .05 or greater PO4. You'll probably get different answers from everybody haha, but it's important to have some detectable nutrients for all corals.

OP
OP
brandowelsh

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, your alk is on the high side... Is that a stable level? If so, increasing nutrients will help protect the coral from the effects of high alk. If not stable, that could also be an issue.
Also, your alk is on the high side... Is that a stable level? If so, increasing nutrients will help protect the coral from the effects of high alk. If not stable, that could also be an issue.
Everything I’ve read seems to indicate to keep alkalinity between 8-12dKH. I’ve always kept it stable at 10.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandowelsh

I hope you take this advice to heart. I've kept Acans since 2006.

The best thing for them is REDSEA AB+ (amino acids + vitamins)

I broadcast feed my acans 3x a week with all Return flow OFF fir 3hrs right when lights go out for the night. I feed them 5ml of REDSEA AB+ 3x a week.

In 4 weeks your Acans will get fleshy and start growing again

I hope you take this advice bc REDSEA AB+ is a gamechanger.... an absolute 100% must-have choice to dose with Acans

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate?
0 phosphate?

You are STARVING these things to death.

Read my post above about AB+

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I’m pretty new to the hobby and I probably do try to keep the tank overly clean. What is a reasonable nitrate/phosphate level to maintain?
My tank likes Nitrates 30-50+ and phosphates 0.25-0.5.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have acan frag that I’ve had for a about a month that seems to be struggling a bit. Water parameters are solid and all other lps and softies are thriving. I’ve read that acans generally like lower flow and moderate to lower lighting. I have it in a little alcove in the sand bed. I’ve tried target feeding mysis, reef roids, and reef energy with little to no response. My water parameters are as follows:

Any suggestions on what I can try are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

IMG_6745.jpeg
As they are easily irritated by sand, I would start with elevating the coral. Similar to melting, I would check phosphate-salinity and alk to assure not elevated and provide moderate light and water flow. Mysis shrimp is a good meal for them and what fish do you have in tank which may be nibbling at them?

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6745.jpeg
Your water is to clean. Acans thrive in 10 to 15 ppm nitrate, also .05 to .19 phosphate and lps like cooler water like 75 to 77 degrees max.

Attachments

• EE7AD64A-9406-411A-8213-7318E07908DB.jpeg
    EE7AD64A-9406-411A-8213-7318E07908DB.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
brandowelsh

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6745.jpeg
As they are easily irritated by sand, I would start with elevating the coral. Similar to melting, I would check phosphate-salinity and alk to assure not elevated and provide moderate light and water flow. Mysis shrimp is a good meal for them and what fish do you have in tank which may be nibbling at them?
Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll make sure parameters are where they should be and are stable. I only have one clownfish and a yellow watchman goby as far as fish go. I do have a pretty hefty cuc including nassarius snails, an assortment of hermit crabs, an emerald crab, and a pair of cleaner shrimp, all of which could be irritating the acans on the sand bed. I’ll try to get it a little higher up in the scape and see how it goes. I always try to target feed most of my corals and usually include some meatier foods like mysis. Thanks again for the help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll make sure parameters are where they should be and are stable. I only have one clownfish and a yellow watchman goby as far as fish go. I do have a pretty hefty cuc including nassarius snails, an assortment of hermit crabs, an emerald crab, and a pair of cleaner shrimp, all of which could be irritating the acans on the sand bed. I’ll try to get it a little higher up in the scape and see how it goes. I always try to target feed most of my corals and usually include some meatier foods like mysis. Thanks again for the help!
It’s point of sale The watchman May be fanning sand inadvertently on the acan

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one acan doing fantastic and another that was doing great then shriveled up and died off

My new one - rather expensive one - is now shriveling up too

I also have super clean water but if I try to make it dirtier the GHA will just gobble it up

OP
OP
brandowelsh

brandowelsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update…I know it’s early, but the couple remaining heads seemed to have perked up a bit with the new location higher in the scape off the sand bed. I’m going to continue to monitor the frag. I’ll be target feeding meatier foods and reef roids and also broadcast feeding the tank with AB+. I’ll also resist the urge to compulsively clean my tank in hopes of raising the nitrate and phosphate levels slightly. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 30
Back