20181015_015433_001.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed these posts.

This can be a couple of things. First is something I haven't experienced before. It's called the mystery disease. It's basically a negative reaction to copper/meds in QT.

The other is infection. I would still suspect infection is fully possible with the amount of coverage you had on these fish. If I remember correctly they were only in antibiotics for a few days early on. You may need to add Furan-2 and Kanaplex again. Follow through with a full 14 days this time.

If I were in your shoes I would proceed with antibiotics from here.

See this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/disease-id.459179/

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been treating the tank with Furan-2 and Kanaplex for 8 days straight now as per instructions on the box, is it still safe to continue with these antibiotics for 6 more days making for a total of 14 day antibiotic treatment? Even though the instructions on the antibiotics say a "MAXIMUM OF 3 DOSES"?
@HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been treating the tank with Furan-2 and Kanaplex for 8 days straight now as per instructions on the box, is it still safe to continue with these antibiotics for 6 more days making for a total of 14 day antibiotic treatment? Even though the instructions on the antibiotics say a "MAXIMUM OF 3 DOSES"?

Yes. I have done it several times.

How are the fish doing?

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have done it several times.

How are the fish doing?

The fish are doing much better, their fins are growing back very well, eating like pigs, wrasses are hunting among the rocks and angelfishare picking at the rocks.. However, those mysterious white spots on the powder blue come and go back and forth.. so we will see with that. In addition, he is still blind and hasnt eaten anything since... He went blind in the display tank and ended up crashing into a bunch of SPS and breaking multiple branches.. I though he went blind because of the velvet... thinking the vision would come back once the velvet was eradicated.. his symptoms were swimming in small circles pretty fast and bumping into everything in the tank... at times it looked like he would get better, as in he wouldnt be bumping into no where near as many things and swimming very "chill" and taking it easy, but he never fully recovered... any ideas?
Just checked the copper level and its at 1.78ppm
@HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are doing much better, their fins are growing back very well, eating like pigs, wrasses are hunting among the rocks and angelfishare picking at the rocks.. However, those mysterious white spots on the powder blue come and go back and forth.. so we will see with that. In addition, he is still blind and hasnt eaten anything since... He went blind in the display tank and ended up crashing into a bunch of SPS and breaking multiple branches.. I though he went blind because of the velvet... thinking the vision would come back once the velvet was eradicated.. his symptoms were swimming in small circles pretty fast and bumping into everything in the tank... at times it looked like he would get better, as in he wouldnt be bumping into no where near as many things and swimming very "chill" and taking it easy, but he never fully recovered... any ideas?
Just checked the copper level and its at 1.78ppm
@HotRocks

It is likely a reaction to copper or "mystery disease". The damage to the eyes from parasite entry could be permanent. I think it is best for you just to stay on the course.

Hopefully the tang will bounce back. I don't want to sound harsh. But if all of the other fish are doing well you can't change it for one fish. You just have to let mother nature run it's course.

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading about dosing vitamins into the QT that they boost their immunity and help remove heavy metals/toxins in the fishs liver/body? Vitamin C and B Complex vitamins? They also increase fish appetite? Is it safe to use during copper treatment?
@HotRocks
@Humblefish

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading about dosing vitamins into the QT that they boost their immunity and help remove heavy metals/toxins in the fishs liver/body? Vitamin C and B Complex vitamins? They also increase fish appetite? Is it safe to use during copper treatment?
@HotRocks
@Humblefish

You can add things like selcon and vitachem to foods. But I would be careful adding things to the water as amino acids for example can increase copper toxicity etc.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a product out there that will neutralize/bind to ammonia so that it is not toxic to the fish? Kind of like the de-chlorinator for chlorine?
Yes, Seachem PRIME detoxifies Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, but it does say it will detoxify Heavy Metals which would affect Copper. So do your research before using.

As far as vitamins, I use Seachem Zoe for both DT and QT (meds but not copper), and again do your research before mixing products.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Seachem PRIME detoxifies Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, but it does say it will detoxify Heavy Metals which would affect Copper. So do your research before using.

As far as vitamins, I use Seachem Zoe for both DT and QT (meds but not copper), and again do your research before mixing products.

You definitely can NOT use prime with copper you will wipe out your entire tank.

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update, all of the fish are still doing well and all are eating like pigs, keeping the copper levels at 1.75ppm and finished 2 weeks of antibiotics (kanaplex and Furan-2) and was wondering if I should prophylactically treat them with anything else during or after copper? Perhaps for internal perasites just to be safe? Or? Please let me know!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update, all of the fish are still doing well and all are eating like pigs, keeping the copper levels at 1.75ppm and finished 2 weeks of antibiotics (kanaplex and Furan-2) and was wondering if I should prophylactically treat them with anything else during or after copper? Perhaps for internal perasites just to be safe? Or? Please let me know!
Glad to hear this. You've done an excellent job with this.

In your situation I wouldn't treat them for internal parasites unless you are seeing white stringy poop.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown is just a bowel irritation. As long as it's not white you are fine. My dwarf angels have brown stringy poop every once in a while.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown is just a bowel irritation. As long as it's not white you are fine. My dwarf angels have brown stringy poop every once in a while.
Agree. Great job, op!! :)

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I did a bit of an impulse buy yeaterday.. and the ONLY reason why is because it is my wife and my dream fish.. the Moorish Idol.. I purchased 3 of them.. reason why I bought all 3 is because they all looked in fantastic health with bright colors, fat, were on sale ($39 each) AND! ALL 3 ate PELLETS at the fish store!!! and once i added them to their own separate QT they ate everything else! Frozen mysis, dry PE mysis pellets, reef nutrition pellets and other random pellets!!
In addition, the Moorish Idols were in copper medicated water at the store at a level of 0.91ppm (using copper power). I set up a separate 10 gallon QT for them and put some seeded sponge filter and ceramic bricks from the 55 gallon for bio media and some of the water.. figured the 55gallon QT was in copper for 3.5 weeks.. Almost 4 weeks.. that it would be safe.. plus didn't want to chance of them having some other disease from the store.. so I started raising the copper levels.. so far I've raised it to 1.25ppm and will slowly continue to reach 1.75ppm.. will post some pictures and videos.
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back