PLEASE HELP ASAP!! VELVET INFECTED FISH

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much general cure should be added to the food? 1 tablespoon food and a whole packet of general cure + a scoop of focus?

1 tablespoon prepared food + one scoop focus + 1 scoop GC (use the focus scoop).

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you!
Also, an update on the Moorish Idols, unfortunately 2 of the 3 died.. they were all doing so well and eating like PIGS.. they were eating foods from my hand! :( :( then all of a sudden one dies.. few days later another one dies.. and the one that is left was the fattest from all 3 and ate the most aggressively.. he was like seriously THICK AND FAT.. now he is starting to loose appetite and is not eating as much and looks thinner than he was before.. copper level is kept at around 1.75ppm.. also i keep nori in the tank 24/7.. pictures of him.. also looks like he is getting a few dark pigments on him here and there..
20181202_153108.jpg
20181202_153125.jpg
20181202_153008.jpg
20181202_153029.jpg

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could see some of the dark pigments in the flash pictures in his white stripes/fins.. he didn't have them before and recently started getting them.. I sometimes see him twitching his fins every now and then?
@HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could see some of the dark pigments in the flash pictures in his white stripes/fins.. he didn't have them before and recently started getting them.. I sometimes see him twitching his fins every now and then?
@HotRocks

These guys are extremely hard to adapt to captivity...

Their MO is exactly as you have experienced. The colors just look like they do at night.

Can you do a FW dip and check for flukes? That could be causing the twitching.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was just saying that's common for idols. They seem fine, quit or slow down eating and then that's it...
Screenshot_20181202-210132.png

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the freshwater dip push the Moorish Idol over the edge due to stress? Or would it be less stressful to just dose the tank with prazi with the copper still being at 1.75ppm?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the freshwater dip push the Moorish Idol over the edge due to stress? Or would it be less stressful to just dose the tank with prazi with the copper still being at 1.75ppm?
I would just do FW dip if it were me. I don't like mixing Prazipro and copper.

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gave the Moorish Idol a 5 minute freshwater bath and TONS of flatworms came flying off the guy :( poor thing! I honestly would have never assumed it was flatworms.. I though copper killed them.. ugg!! Thats probably why the other 2 died :( :( UGG!! :( so mad at myself...

So what would be the best course of action at this point? The copper levels are at 1.70ppm.. should I dose prazi into the tank with the copper? Or? Please help!
@HotRocks
@Humblefish
@4FordFamily

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just dosed prazi into the tank.. didnt want to risk losing him due to the flukes.. And the copper treatment isn't over yet.. hopefully everything will go well..

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just dosed prazi into the tank.. didnt want to risk losing him due to the flukes.. And the copper treatment isn't over yet.. hopefully everything will go well..

Make sure you have TONS of agitation at the surface. Oxygen depletion and possible bacterial bloom are the reasons I don't like to mix copper + prazi. It can be done.

In the future, a weekly FW dip can usually provide enough relief during copper to hold off deworming till post copper. How many days of copper are left?

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have airstones in there.
Copper treatment finishes on the 10th of december.. since I did this one treatment and killed most of them off, I should be okay to NOT dose more prazi till copper treatment is done, right?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have airstones in there.
Copper treatment finishes on the 10th of december.. since I did this one treatment and killed most of them off, I should be okay to NOT dose more prazi till copper treatment is done, right?
Yes I would wait.

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, when the fish is in copper, has flukes AND gets a bacterial infection.. what would be the best course of action? Im currently doing a 5 minute freshwater bath then a 90 minute bath in Acriflavine MS that is COPPER FREE then back into the QT with 1.75ppm of copper he goes?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add antibiotics to copper as well. Kanaplex and Furan-2.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back