Please Help Diagnose this!

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, please help diagnose this.

My Powder Brown Tang has white spots all over his face and front 80% of his body. Swimming and eating normally. DT is 130 gal. temp is 78 degrees.

Going to run some tests now and will update with the parameter results shortly. I was out of town for 4 days and had a friend feeding them, he said nothing unusual happened. I feed them spiro-brine and fish eggs and nori.

other fish seem ok

tank mates are
2 mochavinci clowns
2 pajama cards
1 sunset fairy wrasse
1 mandarin
3 Azure damsels
assorted CUC
mix of SPS and LPS

Hoping someone says this is nothing but I'm very concerned

TIA

1629761880264.jpeg

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Right now the PH is 7.94. When the AC is on in the house (windows closed) the PH is low and routinely swings from 7.73 - 7.96 so this has been the norm for the last month or so and for much of the summer so far.

more to come...

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of articles on this site that can point you in the right direction.
If I understand right... pretty much you can band-aid it, feed them well and hope their immune system does the rest.. or pull out all your fish and do a QT and copper treatment?

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to QT or can I treat the DT?

My QT setup is only a 10 gal so I would need to run out tomorrow and purchase some tanks/equipment, not even sure I can do that..

@Jay Hemdal

Thoughts?

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't do a copper treatment with any Invertebrates / corals or live rock. So if you went that road you would have to get a bigger QT tank?
You get rid of the parasites by letting your DT run fishless(Fallow) for like 76 days?
I'm not an expert so maybe fact check me

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to QT or can I treat the DT?

My QT setup is only a 10 gal so I would need to run out tomorrow and purchase some tanks/equipment, not even sure I can do that..

@Jay Hemdal

Thoughts?

That is a pretty classic case of marine ich, Cryptocaryon. It is moderately advanced, so at this point, no in-tank treatment is likely to work. The other fish in with it have also been exposed and will need treatment. Powder browns just tend to show it first. The mandarin is going to be a tough one to deal with, they don't do well in quarantine tanks.

Copper would be my go to treatment, but hyposalinity would also work. Both need to be done in a QT. If you don't have a lot of corals, you could consider setting up a tank for them, and running hypo in your DT.

Jay

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty classic case of marine ich, Cryptocaryon. It is moderately advanced, so at this point, no in-tank treatment is likely to work. The other fish in with it have also been exposed and will need treatment. Powder browns just tend to show it first. The mandarin is going to be a tough one to deal with, they don't do well in quarantine tanks.

Copper would be my go to treatment, but hyposalinity would also work. Both need to be done in a QT. If you don't have a lot of corals, you could consider setting up a tank for them, and running hypo in your DT.

Jay
Thanks, Jay, I'll get a QT set up tomorrow.

Can I follow the treatment outlined here or is the treatment different for a diagnosis vs a preventative operation?

thx

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I follow the treatment outlined here or is the treatment different for a diagnosis vs a preventative operation?

thx
Scratch that, BRS is out of Coppersafe, what is the specific active ingredient or concentration I'm looking for?

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that, BRS is out of Coppersafe, what is the specific active ingredient or concentration I'm looking for?
I've ordered Cupramine and a Hanna Checker, hopefully there is time to save them

thx all for the help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thx
The copper treatment is standard. I’m concerned about you setting a tank up so quickly though. Do you have seeded filter from your DT that you can use? You might also need some bacteria in a bottle..managing the ammonia level could be a challenge.
Jay

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put a filter sock from my sump in there and I have some fritzZyme 9. Other than that I don't know what options I have but I'm open to suggestions.

I've been in this hobby for many years but have been lucky enough (dumb enough?) to never use or need a hospital tank or quarantine tank. Quarantining and medicating fish is all new to me so I'm open to any/all input.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put a filter sock from my sump in there and I have some fritzZyme 9. Other than that I don't know what options I have but I'm open to suggestions.

I've been in this hobby for many years but have been lucky enough (dumb enough?) to never use or need a hospital tank or quarantine tank. Quarantining and medicating fish is all new to me so I'm open to any/all input.
The filter sock won’t really help, and it actually might make things worse. Fritzyme is o.k., but keep extra on hand and monitor your ammonia daily. You’ll want to keep the ammonia below 0.25 ppm
Jay

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need some media like a biobrick/cube or some ceramic rings to put in the quarantine for the bacteria to colonize from the fritz I would also recommend fritz turbo start that stuff is fantastic for instant tanking works very well for QT in my experience. But as recommended monitor those levels and have extra on hand to dose and get the population established asap.

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need some media like a biobrick/cube or some ceramic rings to put in the quarantine for the bacteria to colonize from the fritz I would also recommend fritz turbo start that stuff is fantastic for instant tanking works very well for QT in my experience. But as recommended monitor those levels and have extra on hand to dose and get the population established asap.

Ok. I read stories of people "setting up" a QT in what seems like overnight but this seems like it could take days (or more) to get it ready to go and that's assuming I have something to seed bacteria from my DT, which it seems I do not. How long does it take to colonize a biobrick? What am I missing?

Do I even have that long with this fish?

Sorry for my ignorance, this feels like I have been lucky to have never had to deal with this but at the same time these things don't seem rare so how do most people deal with this if they don't have a designated QT sitting there ready to go at all times?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be pretty skeptical that it actually gets rid of the ich. Helps a little, maybe. But if there was a reef-safe ich treatment, I'd imagine it would be the go-to for everyone. Nobody likes having to take all the fish out and run the tank fallow.

(Which, by the way, is the only confirmed effective method for getting ich out of your reef: just take the fish out for long enough that all the ich in the tank dies off.)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back