Please help. Don’t want to kill another poor fish...

What to do?

• Freshwater dip then copper

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Start copper

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Keep doing water changes and hope it eats

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Other...

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can eradicate ich or you can manage it. You promote managing it. I promote not having it. And you are correct that more fish suppliers are having more issues, but these are issues with their systems, not issues with the wild fish from the ocean. If suppliers would properly maintain their systems, we would not see so many sick fish. And I am a biologist/scientist. Two degrees and 34 years experience. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the life cycle of ich and how to eradicate it. And the fact that we are having more sick fish is exactly why I state you should QT fish. We will have to agree to disagree, but I will never put a fish that has been in your tank in mine. Peace.

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can eradicate ich or you can manage it. You promote managing it. I promote not having it. And you are correct that more fish suppliers are having more issues, but these are issues with their systems, not issues with the wild fish from the ocean. If suppliers would properly maintain their systems, we would not see so many sick fish. And I am a biologist/scientist. Two degrees and 34 years experience. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the life cycle of ich and how to eradicate it. And the fact that we are having more sick fish is exactly why I state you should QT fish. We will have to agree to disagree, but I will never put a fish that has been in your tank in mine. Peace.

I am promoting supporting the immune system to eradicate disease, you are promoting chemo therapy. Just two difference medical perspectives. Eastern versus Western. Some people think medicine is the key to depression, others think exercise is the key. It's simple a different practice. Your degree may teach you lifecycles, but it doesn't teach you lifestyles. And there are many ways to live, many practices. I take the same approach with myself, humans, animals, whatever. And I am not hurting that you won't take fish from my tank... but I am hurting for humanity that people are so defensive and degrading and can't have a discussion without making someone a target.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last one for this post. I did not say you are wrong. I said I disagree with your approach. You seem to be the one that is stuck on the idea that your way is the only way. Once a fish is taken out of the ocean. Why make a fish suffer with a parasite when it is not necessary? Just because it is not showing outward symptoms does not mean it is not suffering and stressing. If you keep tanks for a long time there will be stress. A power outage, injury, etc. Then the ich management will come back to bite you. I do not use chemo. I promote tank transfer for ich and some medications for other parasites. Have a great day and a great life and I will do the same.

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last one for this post. I did not say you are wrong. I said I disagree with your approach. You seem to be the one that is stuck on the idea that your way is the only way. Once a fish is taken out of the ocean. Why make a fish suffer with a parasite when it is not necessary? Just because it is not showing outward symptoms does not mean it is not suffering and stressing. If you keep tanks for a long time there will be stress. A power outage, injury, etc. Then the ich management will come back to bite you. I do not use chemo. I promote tank transfer for ich and some medications for other parasites. Have a great day and a great life and I will do the same.

because i'm the one who said "i would never take a fish from your tank"? so, how am i stuck in my way only? you guys will say anything to make yourselves seem more correct.. when that was my point, its a pool of knowledge we should both be pouring into. not sniping each other out which most of you here are in the game for. Yes, have a good life, drama king.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regards to this thread it all boils down to why you QT to begin with. Personally I QT fish that are wild caught and need to adapt by given space to eat, not get chased, etc. I do not QT to prevent disease directly. Through the long term QT/acclimation process I observe the fish and use some preventative measures such as praziquantel and metro. Someone posted that “ich” is always present. In my vast experience it is in every system one way or another. The lifespan of its dormancy is disputed by many and if you aren’t QTing every rock, speck of sand, coral then you are introducing the parasite.

QTing and medicating sometimes turns out to be the “cure is worse than the disease”. Poor water quality, over medicating, temp swings and lots of other things can happen. I don’t think you can achieve the sterilized environment required without compromising the principles of filtration, constant numbers like temp, sg, ph as well as other factors such as space, feeding and a whole host of things. If you’re a good reefer then you need to be even better to maintain the environment required for a proper qt

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of your decision to QT or not to QT, Im embarrassed to see the way people have been attacking each other in this thread based on their "OPINIONS." You either practice eradication from the system or you just manage the disease, the choice is yours. Either option will likely be just as expensive to your time and money as the other.

If you really want to know what ich is and how it survives you should research the science of their life cycle. It's not difficult to understand how it can be beat as there are plenty of scientific studies on the saltwater variety.

-Dan

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree....to QT or not to QT is everyone's personal choice. No need to attack each other. This isn't Reef Central after all! LOL! Ok...all jokes aside..... In this hobby like many things in life there are more than one "right" way to do things.

I love hearing all sides and than decide what is best for my fish and the rest of my tank. Everyone on R2R has a lot of great info to share. We should all take advantage and help each other succeed!

Anchorboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think QT is great if done well. I do not do it well and have found I am better off putting fish straight in the display. My mixed reef display has great water condition, huge quantities of pods/mysis and gets fed 8 times a day. I have always had problems maintaining optimal water conditions in QT. Concerning the current question, I assume you are feeding the same foods your friend was using. It has been a long time since I have had to deal with ich. I never treated a few spots. Ich comes in waves. If the waves are increasing in number, I would treat otherwise I would maintain optimal water conditions and wait it out. I have not had to treat ich for many many years. Got it in my display since I don't QT which had less than optimal water conditions at the time and treated with hypo salinity.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think QT is great if done well. I do not do it well and have found I am better off putting fish straight in the display. My mixed reef display has great water condition, huge quantities of pods/mysis and gets fed 8 times a day. I have always had problems maintaining optimal water conditions in QT. Concerning the current question, I assume you are feeding the same foods your friend was using. It has been a long time since I have had to deal with ich. I never treated a few spots. Ich comes in waves. If the waves are increasing in number, I would treat otherwise I would maintain optimal water conditions and wait it out. I have not had to treat ich for many many years. Got it in my display since I don't QT which had less than optimal water conditions at the time and treated with hypo salinity.
Oddly enough I am in the same boat until I move and can do a full QT/fallow period. I simply do not have enough space in my apartment for another tank. I know I accidentally infected my 40B about 2 months ago when adding inverts and stopped the QT process as I had no where to move 5 fish. My QT is a 10G so I will treat if I see anything and QT new additions for 7ish days. Management and healthy foods for the next 6 months...

reef pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week ago. I bought a hippo tang from a friend breaking down his tank. It was very fat, great color, and looked great. Brought him home and put him in Qt. Day 1 he may have ate a couple scraps but not much. Basically spent the first couple of days laying in side and wouldn’t do much. Put in some extra pvc fittings bc I figured it was stress and still won’t do anything but hide in pvc or lay on side. I can see a couple spots of ich now that are probably related to being stressed. I want to start copper but not sure if that will stress an already stressed fish. Should I start copper or fresh water dip or what?
So far I’ve tried soaking food in garlic and change water every other day.
Personally I am not certain I would have quarantined if you are certain your friend's tank was not having any issues with regards to Black Velvet ....Ick ECT....if you are going to treat now that Ick appeared I would suggest Cupramine which is much less harsh and still effective...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back