please help!!! fast!!

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't have any experience with freshwater pls dont bother. sorry i did something about freshwater but i needed a response fast. i was away the past few days and my dwarf gourami is really sick looking, he is laying semi-sideways on a pice of driftwood and is not breathing rapidly or anyhting is just laying there only moving when i move my hand near it. it is kinda fat looking but other than that nothing. will get pics and parameters

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the gourami? They are prone to a nasty viral issue when first acquired (no treatment for that). They are also prone to FW velvet (that shows as a gold dust on their skin). Could be constipation/bloat.

Waiting on pictures (and a short YouTube video would also help).

Jay

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it
did not have a spare tank, so hes in a 5g bucktet w/ filter and heater 4 the time being
I had a 55 gallon freshwater tank for like 3 or more years used to do water changes when the green algae took over so like once every 3 weeks, but also had like 4 air stones throughout the tank. I used tap water with seachem prime conditioner and nothing else. I never dosed it with anything nor did I test anything much, would take it to my LFS to test when buying new fish and I never had any problems. Sometimes simple is better, the air stones do help, I had the ones that hid underneath decorations.

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

video:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my first real encounter with fish illness, so im flying by the seat of my pants

The pictures and video aren't super-clear. Do the scales on the gourami seem to be standing out, kind of like a pineapple? If so, that is called dropsy. It is a pretty common disease of freshwater fish, caused by an kidney infection. The trouble is, that is not treatable except by antibiotic injections. If the scales are laying flat against the body, then it is not dropsy.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you don't have any experience with freshwater pls dont bother. sorry i did something about freshwater but i needed a response fast. i was away the past few days and my dwarf gourami is really sick looking, he is laying semi-sideways on a pice of driftwood and is not breathing rapidly or anyhting is just laying there only moving when i move my hand near it. it is kinda fat looking but other than that nothing. will get pics and parameters
Since gouramis need to get to the surface to breathe effectively - I think he/she is a goner. It could very well be an obstruction/parasites/old age - without more information - it's very hard to tell - and I have quite a bit of freshwater experience.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is an article about the topic of gourami bloating - hope it helps:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back